Can he upgrade and give the *new* phone to me?

Options
wronskian
wronskian Posts: 20 Forumite
Hi folks,

Does anybody know whether the following scheme is allowed?

My Dad and I are both Orange pay-monthly contract customers. I'm on Everyday 50, so Orange don't owe me any favours! He's on a standard talk plan, paying around £25 a month.

I'd like a new phone. He can get upgrades more easily, because he's paying more to Orange each month. But he's happy with his current phone.

So can we do this?

* he contacts Orange and gets a new handset (either a new Nokia or the Sony Ericsson K700i, almost certainly for free)
* he keeps using his current handset
* he gives me the new handset and I use that

Thing is, my handset is really old (Nokia 3210) and so I'm wondering whether I'll need a new SIM?

Thanks for any tips! If no-one's sure, I'll brave Orange customer serivce to see what they say.

Comments

• GlennTheBaker
    GlennTheBaker Posts: 2,974 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, SIMs are all the same size and therefore should fit into any phone (maybe "3" SIMs are different, someone may be able to clarify).

As you are both on Orange, you will be able to pop your Everyday50 SIM into the new handset and it should work straight away. No need to ask/tell Orange Customer Services anything. The only thing your dad may have to do is to phone Orange upon receipt of the new handset to "activate" it as they sometimes have a block put on them which is lifted when safe receipt is confirmed by the customer.
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    So can we do this?

* he contacts Orange and gets a new handset (either a new Nokia or the Sony Ericsson K700i, almost certainly for free)
    * he keeps using his current handset
    * he gives me the new handset and I use that
    Yes.

To ensure that your dad (or even you could try it) get's the phone for free is to ask for the PAC code (assuming he's outside his minimum term contract) and say o2 (or another network) have offered you the same tariff and the phone you want for free. Chances are they'll then give your dad (or, as mentioned above, you could try it yourself first) the phone for free. See this thread for more info on MSE Martin's trick.
  • jf2404
    jf2404 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Make sure your dad knows by upgrading, he is agreeing to another contract term (12 or 18 months).

Also the only reason you would need a new sim is if yours is faulty, but sometimes they like you to get a new sim to be up-to date and so all the new technology (ie, gprs, wap, etc...) will work properly.

Good luck.
  • jjames_3
    jjames_3 Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, SIMs are all the same size and therefore should fit into any phone (maybe "3" SIMs are different, someone may be able to clarify).

3G SIM cards do appear to be different. Physically they're identical, but they don't seem to work in a 2G-only phone.

Generally though you can take *any* card from *any* network and put it into the phone of your choice (provided the phone isn't locked to a different provider to the SIM card).
  • yaacov81
    yaacov81 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    not only can you do it you should do it.

the amount of free minutes offered by 3 suggests how much the other networks are ripping us off. they are making so much money off the people who dont bother negotiating at the end of their 12 months. these people just keep paying the same money gatting the same minutes and the same phone.
    there is noreason why u shouldnt take advantage of this and get the free phone they will offer your father.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the contract is for the sim card, if you read the small print it says that it remains their property at all times....

the phone is yours to do with as you wish from the moment you(or your dad) sign the new contract !! :j

the sim card from the 3210 will work fine, orange only make you have a new sim card each time for security reasons, by having to ring to activate the new sim card you are confirming receipt of the phone by the correct person as you have to answer all your security questions

Orange don't do any 3G only phones yet so any of their range should work fine by the way
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wronskian wrote:
    I'm on Everyday 50, so Orange don't owe me any favours!

I'm Everyday 50 too, & upgrade every year without problems. I always get a decent phone, usually free.

But the answer to your original question is yes (as the good people above have mentioned).
    My sister upgrades her orange phone every year & gives the new phone to my nephew who is on orange PAYG (being 15 he has to have the newest trendiest phone possible!). She then has either his old phone or mine.
  • Darren21
    Darren21 Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    Lucie wrote:
    I'm Everyday 50 too, & upgrade every year without problems. I always get a decent phone, usually free.

But the answer to your original question is yes (as the good people above have mentioned).
    My sister upgrades her orange phone every year & gives the new phone to my nephew who is on orange PAYG (being 15 he has to have the newest trendiest phone possible!). She then has either his old phone or mine.

If your not adverse to '3' then the new off peak 3,000 offer they have is MUCH better than everyday 50 - any network calls, plus twice as many!
    Also with all the cashback deals you'd be paying far less too. Depends how good '3' is in your area really!
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Darren21 wrote:
    If your not adverse to '3' then the new off peak 3,000 offer they have is MUCH better than everyday 50 - any network calls, plus twice as many!
    Also with all the cashback deals you'd be paying far less too. Depends how good '3' is in your area really!

Because I upgraded just before Christmas I'm tied in to Orange for another 6 months or so, BUT I'm definately considering changing next time. Orange have had my money for far too long!
    Is there a website to tell me how good 3 reception is in my area?
  • Darren21
    Darren21 Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    Lucie wrote:
    Because I upgraded just before Christmas I'm tied in to Orange for another 6 months or so, BUT I'm definately considering changing next time. Orange have had my money for far too long!
    Is there a website to tell me how good 3 reception is in my area?

I'm not sure to be honest, maybe you could ask some other people in your area? Or you could try it within the 14 day trial period before cancelling your orange deal!?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure