🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Should I tell my family I'm pregnant?

Options
13»

Comments

• DaveTheMus
    DaveTheMus Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and considered replies.

I am 25, with a house, a marriage, a cat and a dog and have been preparing for a baby for around a year or so. My sister's was more of a surprise but I guess he just clumped our news together perhaps.

I think waiting til the 12 week mark is probably a good plan, the good thing is I've been doing the Cambridge Diet so haven't been drinking etc since the start of August. As long as people don't wonder why I'm eating a little more (the old plan was 400cals per day), hopefully the questions won't start.

Why was your Dad upset that you were pregnant?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Possibly he considers her too young.

I often see this attitude, at 18 it's "don't come home pregnant" and at 38 it's "when are we going to be made grandparents" lol.

Some parents are only happy about a pregnancy if it happens when they deem okay.
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    Possibly he considers her too young.

I often see this attitude, at 18 it's "don't come home pregnant" and at 38 it's "when are we going to be made grandparents" lol.

Some parents are only happy about a pregnancy if it happens when they deem okay.

She's 25 and married though, that seems a pretty 'prime' age to me!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Me too but there is nowt as queer as folk ;)
  • snowleopard61
    Options
    I think telling some close family members now and waiting to tell others might very well come unstuck, compounding the problem (though his attitude does seem strange). I’d tell either all of them or none of them.

When first pregnant (years ago) I was unfamiliar with the convention of waiting until 12 weeks and immediately told everyone I knew, and did the same second time around too. I was fortunate enough that both pregnancies lasted to term, but really, if they hadn’t, I think I’d have minded more if people hadn’t known I was pregnant at all than if they’d known I’d had a miscarriage. That’s just me though. I must admit I’d be secretly hurt if either of my daughters were pregnant and didn’t tell me right away, though I’d try not to show it.

Congratulations, and I hope all goes well and that all your family are pleased for you whenever you do tell them.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think waiting til the 12 week mark is probably a good plan, the good thing is I've been doing the Cambridge Diet so haven't been drinking etc since the start of August. As long as people don't wonder why I'm eating a little more (the old plan was 400cals per day), hopefully the questions won't start.

Sounds like a good plan. You need to look after yourself and your hubby 1st, everyone else can wait.

We told family early (due to christmas, not drinking etc) and my mum broke our confidence. We won't make the same mistake again.

Congrats BTW!
  • Noctu
    Noctu Posts: 1,553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and considered replies.

I am 25, with a house, a marriage, a cat and a dog and have been preparing for a baby for around a year or so. My sister's was more of a surprise but I guess he just clumped our news together perhaps.

I'd be interested to know how old your mum was when she had you - as I'm guessing the only thing he's picking out of your situation is your age (which is ridiculous). For ammunition if nothing else ;-)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think you 'should' tell anyone. I think you tell who you want when you want. If you feel that your in-laws will be supportive and your dad won't be, then tell them and not him, for now.
    I also think that if he broke your confidence last time it is absolutely reasonable for you to chose not to tell him this time until you are ready to start making the news public rather than private.

Congratulations and good luck.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    As a parent myself I'd be more concerned about the effects of my daughter trying to survive on 400 calories per day than I would her being pregnant at the age of 25.

Don't tell him, he has no automatic right to know. Its yours and your husband's business. Enjoy it anonymously while you still can!

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business