PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Log or coal fires ?

Options
Edwardia
Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
edited 25 October 2014 at 10:12AM in Old style MoneySaving
Last night, OH lit a fire and used coal which stunk like coal tar soap. Usually we would burn wood. I hated it. Does it always stink ?

So I wondered if you have/have had open fire, which do you prefer ? How do you keep the cost down ? Buy logs by the load ? Have coal delivered ? Pick up sticks or driftwood ?

And are some woods better than others ? Chestnut seems to spit.

We bought 10kg coal for 2.99 from Home Bargains, is that a good deal for a small bag bearing in mind we don't have storage for logs or coal ?

Comments

• amistupid
    amistupid Posts: 55,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The OH likes wood, I try to oblige.
    In memory of Chris Hyde #867
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My parents have a wood burner and they rarely have to buy wood. At the moment they're burning the old beams from our loft conversion and then they'll move on to burning the cupboard doors left over from our kitchen refit. They can also usually get hold of old pallets. Once people know you need wood you'll be knee-deep in the stuff forever more.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 October 2014 at 12:15PM
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    My parents have a wood burner and they rarely have to buy wood. At the moment they're burning the old beams from our loft conversion and then they'll move on to burning the cupboard doors left over from our kitchen refit. They can also usually get hold of old pallets. Once people know you need wood you'll be knee-deep in the stuff forever more.

I'm afraid that you are perpetuating the firewood is free myth. Most of the stuff you mentioned isn't ideal fuel for a woodburner, although it probably burns.

OP £2.99 for 10kg seems reasonable for that size of bag.

Ash is probably the best firewood of all. I generally burn ash, oak or alder but use pine for kindling (it burns hot and fast but spits a lot.)

The processed firelogs are a good alternative if you buy them at a decent price. They are a regular size, clean and not full of creepy crawlies like real logs. We have had two inch long hornets buzzing around the sitting room on more than one occasion.

I think Greenfires who posts on the "LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels Board" can supply processed logs at a sensible price or you can sometimes get them on offer at Aldi or Lidl.

If you want a long term cheap solution, you will have to find space for storage, invest in some equipment and learn to use it. Then you need to find some wood to cut and doing that legally is the challenge. Your best bets are friendly farmers or buying unprocessed cordwood in bulk.

We are lucky enough have access to farmland and permission to cut firewood. It isn't "free" as it takes time, effort and petrol to process. It does help keep us trim though...

firewood.jpg

Don't forget that you will need a fireguard if you haven't got one already. A CO alarm is a good idea too although open fires are fairly low risk.

The Firewood Poem

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
    If the logs are kept a year,
    Chestnut's only good they say,
    If for logs 'tis laid away.
    Make a fire of Elder tree,
    Death within your house will be;
    But ash new or ash old,
    Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
    Blaze up bright and do not last,
    it is by the Irish said
    Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
    Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
    E'en the very flames are cold
    But ash green or ash brown
    Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
    Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
    Apple wood will scent your room
    Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
    Oaken logs, if dry and old
    keep away the winter's cold
    But ash wet or ash dry
    a king shall warm his slippers by.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 15,524 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like the crackle of an open fire but I've only really seen large log fires in nice hotels or pubs. Coal fires on the other hand is what I grew up with and the smell never bothers me. I guess it's just a matter of what you grow up with and which part of the country you live. I also love the smell of coal tar soap, always got Wrights coal tar soap near the sinks.
    [FONT=&quot]“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,915 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 October 2014 at 12:08PM
    Options
    I use both. Bed of coal with logs chucked on top to keep it going. Mum and I order bags of wood locally then split them between us as I don't have a lot of storage space and the fire logs from home bargains as a top up if I run out.
    And order coal in the summer when it's a bit cheaper, if you're going to use it. I get a couple of large bags delivered but hardly used the fire last year, so haven't needed to order again. Edit - sorry, just seen you don't have a coal hole, so not relevant.
    I have got a couple of pallets waiting to be cut up for kindling and setting the fire but really can't be bothered doing it so far. TBH, I'd rather buy it in. Life's too short as I've really not got the space tools or inclination to be finding and chopping wood.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • zennith
    zennith Posts: 12,193 Forumite
    Options
    I'd like a real fire.

I don't even have a gas one.....

Just an electric one.

Real coal fires remind me of the 1970's at my Grandmas bungalow.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We use a multi stove but always burn wood or briquettes. It gives off a enough heat for downstairs and take chill off upstairs. So far we haven't had our GCH on yet this Autumn
  • tommix
    tommix Posts: 41,256 Forumite
    edited 25 October 2014 at 12:34PM
    Options
    The spit and crackle of burning wood on a winters morn takes me back to my scouting days..A bunch of Hardy lads gathered round the campfire belting out 'gin gan goolie' to an audience of Guinea fowl and wild Squirrel.....:beer:
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful posts !

I did have the chimney swept and certificated. Also got a big elaborate fire guard in a sale a couple of years ago. It's elaborate but has fairly fine mesh too. When OH pulled up a plum tree stump from garden we kept it inside after cleaning it up. It's about three years old now so OH just split it today.

We have a 4ft wide fireplace in a 6ft wide chimney breast but the actual fire basket bit is teeny. Everything has to be cut down to brick size and we can get at most four in at a time. OH got five out of the plum stump. No idea how it will burn but def dry.

I suggested to OH putting coal on bottom then paper, kindling and logs so that by time logs are dying out coal might be glowing hot. Would that work ?
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure