Transfer this years ISA

Options
Im sorry if this has been asked before but I've been looking at the Barclays 2 year fixed ISA paying 2.02% .

After speaking to Barclays ive been told as I have already subscribed to an ISA this year I cannot open one with them.

I currently have one with virgin which im looking to transfer to the Barclays one.

As far as I understood you can transfer any time as long as 2 arnt open, eg I cannot open Barclays and pay into that AND keep my virgin one, but as im transferring the whole lot it will be the " same isa " just with a new provider ?

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Comments

• debonair
    Options
    I opened one this year and then found another paying a better rate. I opened one there but have since been told you can't have two. I thought it was the amount you put in that was important rather than how many you have (!) Do I have to transfer the first into the second and then close it?
    'When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful.........'
  • roryp15
    roryp15 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    debonair wrote: »
    I opened one this year and then found another paying a better rate. I opened one there but have since been told you can't have two. I thought it was the amount you put in that was important rather than how many you have (!) Do I have to transfer the first into the second and then close it?

Yes I don't think you can have 2 ( 2 cash or s&s ) in the same year but ive done this multiple times

had 1 with RBS , transferred to Santander - both in same year

Santander , transferred to virgin - both in same year

I don't think you can have 1 then open another and pay into both them , I think you must transfer all of this years subscriptions. Eg if you have put in 5000 this year, you must transfer 5000.

hopefully someone will come along and clear things up
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is quite shocking that bank staff still don't know the simplest of ISA rules. Even Barclays own T&Cs confirm you can transfer your current year's ISA
    4.1 In accordance with ISA Regulations, you are allowed
    to transfer current tax year and/or previous tax years’ ISA
    subscriptions to another ISA manager at any time, subject
    to the terms and conditions of the account.
    http://www.barclays.co.uk/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=application%2Fpdf&blobheadervalue2=attachment%3B+filename%3D471%2F40%2FFlexible_Cash_ISA_Issue_4_TCs.pdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1260092830909&ssbinary=true

Once the transfer is complete, you can make further deposits into the particular ISA you mention (though this may not apply to all ISAs).

Essentially what you do with a transfer is change your ISA Manager. You aren't creating a second ISA.

Here's what Barclays say about making transfers to them:
    How to transfer
    It’s easy to make a transfer to us – if you’re registered for Online Banking, simply log in to complete a transfer form giving us the account details of the other ISA(s) and we’ll do the rest.
    Alternatively, you can call us on 0345 744 5445 1 or pop into a branch to arrange an ISA transfer.
    http://www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsupport/GuidetoISAsallowancesandrulesexplained/P1242558112510
  • Archi_Bald
    Options
    debonair wrote: »

At any one point in time, you can only have one current year cash ISA to put new money into.

If you want to change ISA provider, you can do this, provided you transfer the existing current year ISA in its entirety to the new provider, and provided the new provider accepts transfers in.

You haven't provided enough detail to determine whether the information you were given is correct or incorrect in your given situation.
  • roryp15
    Options
    Great archi bald - thanks for clearing this up.

I was on their live chat and was told as i have paid money into an isa this year i cannot open one with them this year ( was some foreign name so obviously didnt have a clue )

So i can transfer to barclays, continue to make deposits until 5th april 2015. It will then remain fixed at 2.02% for another 18months or so.

On 6th april 2015 i can then open a new isa to make deposits into.

Once my barclays has matured i can then merge both isas together?
  • Archi_Bald
    Options
    roryp15 wrote: »
    Once my barclays has matured i can then merge both isas together?

Sure you can.

Thought I should mention that you might be able to get better interest outside cash ISAs. This might be of interest, depending on the total amount you are planning to save and for how long.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-loophole and also in Regular Savings accounts.
  • roryp15
    Options
    Im saving £5K a year into my cash ISA

S&S just depending how much i can afford so varies year to year.

I wonder if I use regular savers for the 2015/2016 year then at the end move into my ISA so will get the interest for following years tax free but ive made more interest 2014/2015 year by using regular savers
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are a couple of possibilities.

If the ISA is a fixed term one then you may not be able to transfer it without penalty.
    If the new ISA only allows new money not transfers.

It is possible that the bank staff were correct but didnt explain their reasons.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Archi_Bald
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    There are a couple of possibilities.

If the ISA is a fixed term one then you may not be able to transfer it without penalty.
    If the new ISA only allows new money not transfers.

It is possible that the bank staff were correct but didnt explain their reasons.
    The Barclays ISA mentioned by the OP does allow transfers in.
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Both myself and my husband transferred a matured ISA to a Barclays 2 Flexible ISA.
    I was surprised to find, upon checking my current account, that interest from the ISA had been paid into the current account.
    I was expecting it to be paid into the ISA.

In previous years, we've had Barclays Golden ISA, Golden ISA 2 & Golden ISA 3 - all interest being paid into the ISAs.

This years ISAs were opened on the 8th October and yet interest was paid on the 20th. So paid after 14 days of being opened.

According to Barclays T & Cs...
    Monthly interest: one month after the date the Flexible
    Cash ISA is opened and then monthly;

• Annual interest: one year after the date the Flexible Cash
    ISA is opened and then annually; and
    • End of Term interest: on the speciied maturity date.
    Monthly and annual interest can be paid into a Barclays
    account (this must be in your name, but it can include an
    account you hold jointly with someone else) which you
    nominate, or will be paid to you by cheque
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business