TalkTalk and FTP servers

Help
I'm desperately trying to upload files to my website. The web site is not hosted by TalkTalk but by another isp. I use TalkTalk because of the low price telephone/broadband package.
I've heard talk about 'port throttling' where data transfers are restricted.
I'm trying (for too many days) to upload my data. One minute it sort of works then for the next 4/5 hours or more it will not allow me to upload. I've tried to upload using other broadband providers and it all works fine. I called the TalkTalk helpdesk. Doh... is your modem connected, is your pc switched on...cmon give me a little credit.
The crux of the matter is this.... is Talktalk really restricting data transfer? if yes, under the trades description act they are mis-selling the service.

But anyway that's a different matter; any help appreciated on my FTP problem

thx

Comments

• mrJ_5
    mrJ_5 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    have you tried using a different FTP program - I had a similar problem once, and this solved it
  • yes I use filezilla and cuteFTP still no good. I've sat here now for 2 hours and uploaded 2 files 2kB and that's tiny
  • patwa_2
    patwa_2 Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    They do not throttle uploads on either the tandard port 21, or port 80, or th ports for SSH, rsync or telnet.

If you have firefox installed, try the freeware addon FireFTP which works all the time for me.

Also, can you copy files across using just Internet Explorer? This would rule out other softwares being the culprit. sometimes the 'advanced'ness' of the programs makes it difficult to troubleshoot if a particular setting might be causing the problem.

Which host are you using and can you FTP to any other sites?

H.
    Know me for who I am, not for who I say I am.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure