Please help me find some shoes / boots

Options
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can suggest some styles, or makes of shoe?

I have mobility problems and use a walking stick, my left foot often swells and I have a tendency to drag my foot too. I am also starting to walk on the inside of my feet to try and balance myself. I can only wear flat shoes that are not tight in any way as I also have circulation problems!

To make matters worse I have size 8 feet (ladies) and they are quite wide too.

Due to the way I walk I keep ruining shoes and I am in need of some new ones. I tried again on Saturday, but could not find anything to fit. At this rate I am going to be facing winter with just ballet pumps.

So, I would be very grateful for any shoe recommendations for problem feet.

Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello,

I wonder if anyone can suggest some styles, or makes of shoe?

I have mobility problems and use a walking stick, my left foot often swells and I have a tendency to drag my foot too. I am also starting to walk on the inside of my feet to try and balance myself. I can only wear flat shoes that are not tight in any way as I also have circulation problems!

To make matters worse I have size 8 feet (ladies) and they are quite wide too.

Due to the way I walk I keep ruining shoes and I am in need of some new ones. I tried again on Saturday, but could not find anything to fit. At this rate I am going to be facing winter with just ballet pumps.

So, I would be very grateful for any shoe recommendations for problem feet.

Thanks
    Hi, I have mobility problems, i use a stick, both my feet are constantly swollen. I also have spinal problems which causes numbness in both legs and feet, my right leg/foot is the worst. I can't lift my leg up so i drag my foot when i walk. I always buy all my shoes from Evans because they sell wide fitting. They are so comfy and the wide fitting is great because of the swelling in my feet. I wouldn't go anywhere else for my shoes. They are expensive though but so worth it. Hope this helps.
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    I can't speak highly enough of Hotters.

I don't wear any other shoes! They really are comfy...and not to much of a 'granny' shoe IYKWIM

My favourite style is Tone, a flat lace-up which comes in an extra-wide fitting (EE) I have this in a couple of colours.

They are not the cheapest of make (About £60 a pair depending on style) but are well worth it.

(I would also suggest looking at CosyFeet...I buy my socks from them!....they have some VERY wide fitting shoes - not stylish , definitely functional...but super-wide)
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 October 2014 at 9:19AM
    Options
    Another vote for Cosy feet. You can buy them on line. Don't forget to complete the VAT free declaration.

http://www.cosyfeet.com/mega-sale

And they've got a sale on at the moment!
  • greenval
    greenval Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    J.D. Williams do a good range of sizes/widths and are cheaper than Hotter. I have similar problems and have just got my first pair of boots in years( £50 Leather). I was ridiculously excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My daughter has mobility problem she uses cosyfeet and widerfeetshoes. They are not cheap but she really likes the shoes/boots and fit her perfectly
  • skintmacflint
    Options
    If your problem warrants it, you can get a referral from an NHS Podiatrist to the Orthotics Dept at your local hospital for a pair of special made to measure shoes with insoles. They're not exactly stylish but they offer a variety from which you can choose a style.

The shoes once made would give correct support to your feet and stop you walking oddly to keep your balance. Poor circulation particularly with diabetes can be a reason for being prescribed these shoes to prevent foot damage and breakdown leading to ulcers etc.

In Scotland you can self refer yourself to an NHS Podiatrist.

My wife also buys the Hotter range of shoes, said they're great.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If your problem warrants it, you can get a referral from an NHS Podiatrist to the Orthotics Dept at your local hospital for a pair of special made to measure shoes with insoles. They're not exactly stylish but they offer a variety from which you can choose a style.

The shoes once made would give correct support to your feet and stop you walking oddly to keep your balance. Poor circulation particularly with diabetes can be a reason for being prescribed these shoes to prevent foot damage and breakdown leading to ulcers etc.

Hello,

Many thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know that this was an option. I will go back to my GP for advice.

The poor circulation is due to DVTs and I have to wear a compression stocking at all times. My biggest fear are ulcers and possibly losing the foot too.

Cheers,
    Spider
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Many thanks for the shoe suggestions.

I am going to go out shopping again at the weekend and look for the makes suggested so *fingers crossed*.

Much appreciated,
    Spider
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I was referred to a Podiatrist and was given insoles for my shoes. Made my legs and feet so much worse. I wore them 3 times then they went in the bin.
  • Auntywin
    Options
    Hi,

Cushionwalk do boots up to an EEEEEE fitting which are so comfy.

On sale at the mo here..
    http://www.crazyclearance.co.uk/shop/footwear/1/_/N-1ytw1zp/products/show.action

Just google cushionwalk and have a look.

I have one very swollen foot and these are perfect for me...l just use an insole in the good foot.

Barbara
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport