Didn’t land at ticketed destination

Options
Hi everybody, I apologise in advance if this one has been done but I am struggling to find it anywhere. We had a through ticket from TLL to MAN via FRA. The first leg was delayed 78 minutes which resulted in us missing the next leg from FRA to MAN. Instead of taking the flight from FRA to MAN the next day that the airline had booked us onto we elected to take a flight to London the same night. We then took a taxi up to MAN to collect the car arriving there some 7 hours later than we should have done.
Can any of you experts give an opinion as to whether we have a claim to compensation?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It depends entirely on why the first flight was delayed. If it was weather related, for example, you will not be entitled to compensation, if the delay was within the airline's control, you may well have. You are also entitled to out of pocket expenses, but I think they may question the need for a 200 mile taxi ride which presumably cost a lot more than a night at a hotel in FRA
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Options
    did the airline agree in advance to cover a taxi from London to Manchester?
    Have you checked whether your travel insurance will cover this if they don't?
  • austin9658
    Options
    goodlooker wrote: »
    Hi everybody, I apologise in advance if this one has been done but I am struggling to find it anywhere. We had a through ticket from TLL to MAN via FRA. The first leg was delayed 78 minutes which resulted in us missing the next leg from FRA to MAN. Instead of taking the flight from FRA to MAN the next day that the airline had booked us onto we elected to take a flight to London the same night. We then took a taxi up to MAN to collect the car arriving there some 7 hours later than we should have done.
    Can any of you experts give an opinion as to whether we have a claim to compensation?
    Thanks in advance

According to rule if you missed your connecting flight due to previous flight delays less than 3 hours you can't claim for compensation. e.g if your flight delays 2 hours 55 minutes and you missed your connection you can't claim for compensation.
  • goodlooker
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, would you mind letting me know where it says this?
    Thanks
    austin9658 wrote: »
    According to rule if you missed your connecting flight due to previous flight delays less than 3 hours you can't claim for compensation. e.g if your flight delays 2 hours 55 minutes and you missed your connection you can't claim for compensation.
  • goodlooker
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    did the airline agree in advance to cover a taxi from London to Manchester?
    Have you checked whether your travel insurance will cover this if they don't?
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm not bothered about the taxi, just "flight delay compensation"
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why was the TLL-FRA flight delayed?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • goodlooker
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Why was the TLL-FRA flight delayed?
    I seem to recall the mention of the dreaded bad weather but having checked the weather from the departure airport it was slightly cloudy with light winds.
  • austin9658
    Options
    goodlooker wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, would you mind letting me know where it says this?
    Thanks

Crucially, this is a straight rule. It's about when you arrive, not when you leave. So if you're on a flight that takes off 4 hours late but lands 2 hours 55 minutes late, you're not over the 3-hour delay needed to be eligible for compensation. Here's what you're entitled to when your flight has been delayed.

Read the 4th point http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays.

And one more thing if your flight delays because of bad weather you can't claim for compensation as it comes under Extraordinary Circumstance.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Options

That is completely incorrect. If you miss a connecting flight due to a late inbound aircraft even it is 20 minutes late then compensation may be payable (assuming reason for delay is covered, EU airline or departing EU etc) this is covered in the Folkerts judgment in the FAQs

The Folkerts Judgement – This judgement from the European Court in February 2013 determined that, for passengers on "directly connecting flights" whose first leg was delayed by less than three hours but who arrived at their final destination at least three hours later than the scheduled arrival time, then compensation under the Regulation is payable.

You will have arrived in MAN more than 3 hours after scheduled so, IF the delay was something within the airlines control then compensation would be payable. If however the delay was due to weather, then no EU compensation but you could try your travel insurance
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

As Caz says this is WRONG. Austin: it's good that you're giving your time to help people, but it is important you don't mislead them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure