Water Bills, What's Cheaper ?

Hi.

I was wondering if someone could help me.

My fianc! and I are in the process of buying a 3 bed detached house. We don't have any children, just us.

I was wondering if people could tell me if it's worth thinking about getting a water meter.

We both work full time so we aren't there during the day using the toilet or making coffee or anything. Between us we probably have 3 baths a week (rest showers). We have a 1/2 width dishwasher (not sure what they're called) which we will use twice a week and a washing machine which we will use twice a week. Also we aren't wasters (e.g turning tap off while brushing teeth). Also we are willing to take measures to minimise water usage (like one of those water saver kits you get online).

I was just wondering as someone told me a while ago (not sure if it's true or not) that the water company estimate how much you use based on your house size (e.g 3 bed house = 2 adults, 2 kids). So do you think it would be cheaper for us to have a water meter ?

Trying to save extra pennies wherever possible now we are home owners !!!

Thanks in advance !!!

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Depends upon the rateable value for your water bill .
    Typically mine is £550 per year but my new water meter has given me a projection of £350 per year . Removable and back to the old billing method within the first year if i want .
    Different water companies have different prices .
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    As above!

Almost certainly a meter will be cheaper; and you have 12 months to revert* back to charges based on Rateable Value(RV) should a meter prove more expensive.

As your property doesn't have a meter it will have been built prior to 1990, and thus will have a RV. You can use that RV to calculate exactly your annual charges; and compare that with estimated metered charges for two people which on average will be around 110 cubic metres(55 each)pa.

* You may have no choice in the matter as water companies can insist on a meter being fitted on change of occupant. - not all enforce that provision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure