🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Can a sixteen year old drink alcohol in a restaurant?

Options
My dd turns 16 in a few weeks and I want to take her out for a celebratory meal, with perhaps a glass of wine.

She thinks that, at 16, she can have an alcoholic drink with her meal if it is purchased with food by an adult.

A friends tell me this is only true in pubs which serve food.

That sounds a bit woolly to me!

Does anyone know the law on this?

Thanks
M

Comments

• bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the-facts/alcohol-and-the-law/the-law-on-alcohol-and-under-18s
    It is not illegal:
    For someone over 18 to buy a child over 16 beer, wine or cider if they are eating a table meal together in licensed premises.
    Your daughter is correct.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2014 at 11:13AM
    Options
    If I remember rightly, the law says that she can have up to two pints of either beer or cider, when purchased with a meal bought by an adult.

I'll see if I can find a link to some verified facts...
    (Oh -- beaten to it by faster typists!)
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Young people aged 16 or 17 can drink beer, wine or cider with a meal if it is bought by an adult and they are accompanied by an adult.

It is illegal for this age group to drink spirits in pubs even with a meal.

Source
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    4 correct replies immediately, each at the exact same time.

What a response!
  • pleasedelete
    Options
    It is legal however restaurant policy varies even within chains. One Pizza Express I go to is fine about it and explains the law- another has a blanket not under 18 rule.

So maybe ask the place you are going before you book. Some pub chains are no under 18 as well.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    I worked in a restaurant and we would serve beer, cider and wine to 16 year olds as long as they were having a main meal and it was being paid for by adults. They couldn't have spirits though.

It is also not illegal to give a child over the age of 5 wine, beer or cider at home, although it's strongly recommended not to do so! I remember we got to have something alcoholic with our Christmas dinner at home from we were about 13!

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • Noctu
    Noctu Posts: 1,553 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst it is legally OK, as another poster has mentioned, many places will refuse to do so anyway. Might be worth phoning up the restaurant beforehand to ask about their policy if you're set on the idea.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,154 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They might also want to see ID for her!

One of the big pub chains IDs young people ordering alcohol at the table with a meal - maybe they ID everyone, I don't know because I'm usually driving, but I don't think they do - so again, this is something to check before you arrive.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    Options
    Maureen may I commend you on introducing your daughter responsibly to alcohol, enjoy your meal :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport