ESA-what happens after

Options
Hi,

In July I was put into the ESA support group for a year, so what happens when that year is up? Am I taken off ESA, do I apply again?

thank you

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you will be reassessed to see if you still meet the criteria.
    they will send you an ESA50 to complete, and may or may not carry out another work capability assessment
  • graduate2012
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    you will be reassessed to see if you still meet the criteria.
    they will send you an ESA50 to complete, and may or may not carry out another work capability assessment

Thanks, will the assessment be immediately after the year ends? If it isn't, what happens in the time waiting for the assessment,would I receive ESA assessment rate, or have to go on to JSA?

many thanks
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll stay on your current ESA rate until the decision has been made. Your ESA may then stay the same, change to WRAG or be taken off ESA.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Options
    You should be sent a new ESA50 in June ish, but as to how long it will take for the assessment to be completed that could be 3months 6months or a year, during which time you will continue to be paid the same rate.
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Options
    Many assessments have been suspended due to a huge backlog of cases so you may or may not receive another ESA50 to complete.

As you are in the Support Group, payment will continue.
  • graduate2012
    Options
    In June when my time in the support group will end, say if I am kept on ESA for another few months due to the backlog, will I need to go back to the doctor for sick notes or will I not need them while waiting for the assessment?

Thanks everyone
  • Horseunderwater
    Options
    No for sick notes - payments will or should carry on. You might not get an esa50 - I shall be in a similar position in July.
  • eadieb
    eadieb Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    people in support group sometimes find they do not get reviewed for several years. if you get an esa 50 then fill it in as if its the first one you have ever done. dont assume they will look at any past record or know your case at all. submit any medical evidence and copies of letters etc. over again. if you get called for an ATOS medical (or whichever company is doing it then), make sure you get as much information accross as possible and assume they know nothing about you. ideally take someone with you.

if on review you get dropped down a group to WRAg or found capabable of work then you can ask for a mandatory reconsideration of their decision and gather further evidence and help from advice agencies. if they still say no then you can go to an independent appeal. For some people it makes a much bigger difference being put down into wrag group from support group, than others. there is a small financial difference in the amount they add to your esa group but in support group you are not required to attend work focussed interviews. If you have a contribution based esa claim and are in support group then this is indefinate whereas in wrag group the contribution claim may only last 12 months. contribution based claims are important for some people e.g those that are in a couple with someone who works, or have savings or other incomes like pensions
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You will be in the ESA support group (and getting payments) unless you are declared fit for work or moved to the WRAG.

This involves filling in an ESA50 (after which they might decide they have enough information) or going for a medical.

Nothing will change unless 1 or 2 of the above have happened.

You may want to phone the Job Centre and ask for the current date of your next re-assessment, which is at the moment subject to be put back what with ATOS in chaos and the new provider not being in place yet.

My ESA is up for assessment (last time I heard) August so I will be phoning at some point soon to see if that's changed.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    as above really.
    DWP is notoriously bad for lost/missing post.
    if you assume that the reassessment has been put back because you haven't received an ESA50.... and they turn around and stop your benefit because they say you didn't return it ....
    better safe than sorry
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport