Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Converting from a charitable company to a trust

in Charities
2 replies 984 views
It seems there is lots of information about incorporating, but I cannot find anything about going the other way.

I am a treasurer of a small (<£10k income pa) charity which is a limited company with three trustees. All we want to do is change to an unincorporated trust and change two trustees (with me being one of the new ones).

Ideally I'd just tell Companies House the company is closing, and let the Charities Commission, the bank, and HMRC know of the name change (losing the 'ltd') and change in legal status.

I'm going to have to go into the bank to convert the account as we won't have a company, hopefully keeping the same bank account number as we exist to collect standing orders from donors (and gift aid from HMRC).

After contacting the Charities Commission, they appear to need me to set up a new charity then transfer the assets over, I'm still waiting on HMRC; does it really need to be this complicated?
Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.


  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    45.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I don't know, so I'd strongly recommend getting advice. If you can get some pro bono locally, fantastic (ask through your local volunteer body), or there may be some information on the AFVS website - I don't know if that will help at all.

    What I wonder though is why you need to do this? Have you had advice about the advantages? I know that being a ltd company gives the trustees some protection if things go wrong ...

    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • grayme-mgrayme-m Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

    The reason is to reduce the overheads and red tape. We don't need the protection of a limited company as we are not trading or operating other than to collect funds to transfer to the cause.

    It may only be £12 or £13 to submit an annual return, but I do everything I can to reduce costs so everything else goes to the cause. Hence paying for advice would be rather counter productive. :)
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools