We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Fay wrote: »
    Choille we are off to Jamaica on a real luxury holiday courtesy of a tax refund. I'm taking my parents with us to celebrate my birthday too. Not a very mse way to spend my wind fall, but I paid it out once and I figured it was money I never had and would never have had. And you only turn a certain age once!

Over half way through my house jobs now so the garden is beckoning! Glad to hear you are cracking in with jobs. How are things overall? Do you know what % you have done and what's left?

I used a "windfall" for my Canada trip.... like you say, only get one chance or it would just dwindle on "usefull" stuff ;)

memories are invaluable ...
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    I used a "windfall" for my Canada trip.... like you say, only get one chance or it would just dwindle on "usefull" stuff ;)

memories are invaluable ...

That was my thinking Alfie. The rest of my money went in the roof, originally it was meant to be a new patio as I love my garden. I just don't think I'll reminisce about my roof when I'm older but I will the holiday lol
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It sounds like it's been a huge jib Choille but it will be so worth it.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, I don't know if it's been worth it - It's hard to say at the moment as it's been like climbing a mountain with slippy boots on. But have to finish it whatever as we couldn't sell it like it is - well we could but we'd lose on it probably.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    Afternoon all.

That holidays sounds as though it's going to be amazing.

Everything at a standstill here. Due to money. Work is totally got and miss with the job agency, but have been managing to get a few days work a week over the last few weeks.

Bought garlic from the supermarket this week. So going to plant some of that out this week to see how I get on with that.

Got dinner beans left on the plants. Ready to die back to save for brand for next year's planting. My garden is totally pants this year. And had quickly gone back to looking like a jungle. But now that we are living here and slowly getting some sort of liveable order going on amoungst a house renvovation/building site .we should be able to get back on track.

Weather is getting colder. And is quite windy today.
    Work to live= not live to work
  • choille
    Options
    Good to hear from you CTC.

Glad you are moving forward even though it doesn't feel like it at times.

Going dull & cold here now - thought I'd better clean the car as neighbour is needing a run to opticians tomorrow & even their eye sight isn't bad enough to miss the filth inside & out the car - why is it that OH never does it? I only do it when it feel embarrassed enough & we are giving someone a run somewhere.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    my car choille would be a standby stable with all the spilt hay/feed etc. I keep the front dog hair free only cos I have a large top to floor grill in place [ I rarely put the back seats up] .. but the front is my filing cabinet...
    thing is when I DO put seats up for passengers they feel they are in a prison car with the grill between me and them !!
    I was out last night clearing it as son suddenly decided HIS car was not up to the trip to Manchester !![to see a football match ] so could he borrow mine !! ive been skitting round in his little zippy Peugeot today....

went on a goat hunt this afternoon.. someone just bought pygmy goat no4 but had them all in a stable for the night but made the fatal mistake of letting the 3 well behaved ones into paddock first, went back for no4 which promptly busted out past her and took off ! not knowing where the others had gone it did a 50mph dash straight ahead and is now somewhere in 40acres including woods !!! we all walked as much/far as we could but finding a knee high BROWN goat in a wood is a tad difficult... so no joy as yet !!

ive sold a few bits on the bay, will just keep adding to it and cross fingers..
    been dry but cold here today

OH OH and jim jam gets his field back Wednesday !!!! she txt me to say shes moving her horses on Tuesday... yay ....
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So long since I posted here, but still reading. :)

We went to London to see Tim Peake speak at newscientistlive. I did a video of around 11 minutes of his talk about from Kazakhstan to the ISS.

Was ill in London, had to go to St Thomas' walk in emergency thingy, poss diagnosis diverticulitis. Antibiotics and laxatives, ended up staying at DD's place for 2 weeks rather than the single one planned. And since have seen GP and now have to go for a colonography thing after triage by nurse at colorectal clinic at the Royal in Liverpool. :(

While there found results of my PIP Assessment came through, losing my Motability car on 1st November. Since then have put in my letter for Mandatory Reconsideration, but doubt it will help, so will prob have to go to Tribunal. :eek:

Anyway, we've come to the caravan for a final trip in my comfy car before it goes back.

29883207143_d3cce27dba_z.jpgView from deck on arrival by Maggie, on Flickr
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Weather is getting colder. And is quite windy today.
    Two frosts here so far, although none this morning; just a biting easterly wind till this evening. It's warmer now....which means it'll rain next. ;)

Just spotted maggie's picture....so that's where the good weather went today!

Funnily enough, choille, DW has also been painting the bottom part of the walls below DPC, We've gone for a mid grey. (grey velvet) and on the main walls is misted white, which seems to change with the sky and time of day. People don't agree at all about what colour it is! :rotfl:Both colours are in the Dulux Weathershield pro range.

I've just taken down all the remaining tomatoes in the poly, besides one Sungold, which is still soldiering-on. They were all over 10' tall and getting very unruly! They didn't do too well this year though; too much neglect. :o

We had badgers in the bottom yard last night, and a right mess they made too, digging for grubs. Won't say a word, because these guys aren't popular around here. I can understand why, but it's not my fight, so I stay out of it. ;)

Panto script has arrived. I'm Dame again. Three costume changes and a song!:eek: At least I don't have to stay in tune.....Might try to change the chosen song though! I really wanted 'I'm just a Girl Who Can't Say "No!" ' :D
  • choille
    Options
    Alfie - Pygmy goats are so cute. My friend had one in France - Just one - which I thought was a shame not having a wee pal.
    On our trip up to Wick we passed a house with a turf/green roof on it & there were pygmy goats on top keeping the grass cut! They also had pot belly pigs roaming about - my sort of folks.

Yes, our car was covered in hay bits, I had to get the coal out of it before cleaning it = 6 sacks, at least it was in sacks. We've had a ram in the back before, but not when we had the coal in.

Maggie - fabulous picture, truly lovely. Really sorry about the mobility car & I think you should prepare to fight it. Good luck with the colonoscopy. Sorry you were unwell in London - or anywhere really - not nice. I have colitis so I go for a colonoscophy every few years, but it is a good check up. 'Up' being the main word - Sorry - you have to laugh or you'd cry. All the best with it. Hope you are feeling a bit better.

Dave you work your dear wife like a donkey. Our block work paint is a light grey - I bought a pale yellow, but it looks pants, so I'm painting over that - it's too bright - the grey blends better.

So it's cross dressing season is approaching again for you Dave. Your wife is so tolerant. I really don't know how she does it.

Badgers ate our hens - they burrowed into the house, so make sure they don't get in as they will keep returning. They love leather jackets - not bikers ones, but the grubs & ferret about scratching at the moss. They live down the gorge, down near the water fall. I found their den - well one of the dens when I was climbing about down there trying to haul up some dead wood.

Having a respite from listing on the bay - I've so much stuff - the house looks like one on the telly about horders. If 'ealth & safety get wind of it - they'll shut me down.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback