We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Dave can you not view his deeds at the Land registry. I'd be tempted to hang on until he's come up with something. As you say - T'is him that has the gripe.
    I have his title plan, and everyone else's around, but I haven't purchased the written documents. For one thing, it costs £, and for another, they'll probably be like ours and totally silent on this. As I said earlier, all the land here used to be owned by one person, who's still alive.

It'll be quicker in the long run if he gets all the stuff and takes it to whoever he pays to think for him. He needs to hear another person say what I've said, which is that we have to agree who owns these small parcels of land and then where the boundary lies. We can draw up something simple to get any agreement in writing. That would be best. ;)

To me, in the absence of documentation saying otherwise, it's logical that our boundary could be the middle of the dividing hedge where the red line runs, but not a stream, where it doesn't run anywhere, on anybody's plans. Or, if he thinks that's too vague, we can each have some hedge. We'd love to have total control of the part he says we own, so either way, we can't lose. :D

Weather picking up now after a short cold snap. When the alarm went this morning I was swimming in Angelina Jolie's pool. It was jolly nice weather there, wherever it was!:rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    is this rain going to stop !!!
    I drove across the forest today and all the watering holes that are normally dry by june are so overflowing they look like mini lakes ... theres a large carpark by hatchett pond that looks like a large lake [ has done for weeks now]
    I keep moving the hoss's around but to be honest each field is as wet as the next ! ive put the big ones in the rough 4 acre farm field hoping it will take their big hoofs !
    the sheep hate it and spend most of their time in the shelter with a mountain of hay ....
    we have one elderly miniature Shetland called Nellie who struggles to get her aching joints to move in deep mud so have to keep an eye on her
    [Nellie was one I was looking after whilst owner abroad for 3 months and she came to see her once on her return and that was it ... still here 8 years later ... and she aint 'avin 'er now !! she is at least 22yrs old now ]

well im sure everyone is in the same boat so keep safe peeps xx
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Dave - here the boundaries are usually in a burn/stream. But if all the ground was owned by someone then I would be tempted to have a word with them. If they sold it off in parcels then the deeds should show boundaries - but if it's anywhere near like here then it will all be a bit vague. Crofts are not actually mapped as such - or rather weren't - disputes run down the generations. There has been attempts to register your croft - some have done but people have nearly gone to war over this - a piece of bog that wouldn't sustain a half dozen scraggy sheep!

Well it has poured down today - just dire really. My Shetland wedder didn't come to the trough & I don't know what's spooked him but I saw him eyeing me up but he just wouldn't come which is odd as he's a greedy ole fella.

The place is a complete muddy mess yet I have a primrose out & the rhubarb is starting to show signs of waking up and we have !!!!! willow which will not pass the censor.
    I had my scratched eye looked at again yesterday & it's doing well but will always be liable to flare up so must keep using drops for dry eyes. I was quite relieved as it's been quite painful.

Your ground sounds like mine Alfie - I could put the sheep on the hill but they have the byre down here so that's why I haven't shifted them. I've got them advertised for sale but no takers. I think they'll all be off to the rare breed sale come March much as it pains me I think it is time they were moved on.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Hi Dave - here the boundaries are usually in a burn/stream. But if all the ground was owned by someone then I would be tempted to have a word with them. If they sold it off in parcels then the deeds should show boundaries -
    The trouble with using streams is that they're liable to move and it's a beggar fencing when you really want a fence to be straight, to say nothing about fences being washed out in a spate.

Pete has this problem with the owner of the estate next door, who isn't happy because Pete fences straight, not to the exact boundary.

"Look," says the posh guy, "we've lost some here!"
    "Ah, but I made sure you gained a bit down yer," says Pete.
    And so it goes on...:rotfl:

The parcels do show the boundaries, choille. I've downloaded the title plans and on all of them the lines follow the hedges, but this chap wants to use the stream. His argument is that the red lines are only a guide, which they are, but it's more a case of them representing a swathe about 2m wide, not 10m!

So I'm saying it's obvious somewhere in the hedges is intended as the boundary, but we need to decide if we share them 50:50 with a line down the middle, or if we grant one property this whole length of hedge and the other property the whole of that one. I'd favour the latter, being simpler, but I'm still waiting to hear what he says.

Then we can get down to drawing up an agreement with stuff on it about access and maintenance responsibilities. I know people like him won't be satisfied with less, so I jumped ahead and suggested it first. :p

The lack of response suggests he snookered at present, but I'm sure it's nothing an expensive solicitor can't make even more complex and confusing!:(
  • Davesnave
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    is this rain going to stop !!!
    Rain? What rain?:huh: Most of it has missed us lately, I think. It's mizzle here. Stream's running OK though.

Last week, Horse Woman was asking to use our hose,as she'd run out, what with needing to soak the hay and not enough coming off the roof. Ridiculous really, as the water main crosses her field and goes within a few metres of the stables.

We are probably in much better shape than usual, because there are no beasts on the field. I don't want them back yet while I have so much hawthorn in piles waiting to be bonfired. They'd drag it everywhere.
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,755 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Dare I say we've been quite lucky with the weather. Yes its been wet and windy but have so far managed to avoid the white stuff.

We've had a bit of a traumatic time. Ds1s first border collie had what will probably be her last litter just over 2 weeks ago. Sadly of the 7 puppies born only 1 made it despite our best efforts. Luckily its a girl and he's going to keep her to keep the line going. However mum and pup are in the house (normally they're outside with a heat lamp) Mum isn't house trained so its bit daunting getting up in the morning to see what devastation her behind has created.

Once Gin the puppy is weaned, I will try to housetrain her as she is getting on a bit and is quite enjoying being inside. I'm sure she thinks she's in the Lido wing of the Royal hospital.

Choille not sure if you remember when you stayed here that we had some raised beds built? Well one is just about ready to be planted with some veg. Just not sure what to plant so any suggestions welcomed. I'm not doing spuds or carrots and probably not onions.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So sorry about the puppies.

The raised beds were bumper ones Lucielle. I have let my garden go wild, but I think this is quite a good website with dates of planting etc:-

https://www.lovethegarden.com/uk-en/article/when-plant-vegetables-guide-sowing-and-harvesting-vegetables
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Mother Nature is cruel to our eyes, lucielle, but she probably had reasons for the puppies dying like that. Doesn't make it any easier though.

I'm not big in the vegetable kingdom, but if you don't like onions or think them not worth it, what about leeks? I always find them easy and forgiving.
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,755 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm just thinking about veg that's more expensive to buy. Looking at caulis, broccoli and something else. It's been a long process and hopefully I'll get another bed up and running next year.

Mother nature is cruel but I'm thankful we've got 1 puppy.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We grow onions as we really like one called something like Senshui Gold, mild and sweet and roasts fabulously. Never seen it in the shops (not that I'm able to go shopping any more LOL).

Garlic is good too - we usually grow it overwinter, several different kinds as each year there's one doesn't do well but others do.

Shallots are expensive to buy, there are spring planting ones - which reminds me we must get them in!

Cavalo Nero (Kale) is gorgeous, and will overwinter too, then you can take the flowering tops off and use like broccoli. It's a very attractive plant in my view - reminds me a little of the Prince of Wales feathers! Not keen on most of the other kale's that OH has bought from supermarkets - taste and smell too much like cabbage! There's another one that I got from one of those heritage seed sites that's really tasty once it's been frosted, might be Sutherland Kale? Flavour really only develops after frost.

How about some edible florals too? You can eat every part of the nasturtium plant, the flowers are really pretty in salads, and you can pickle the seeds to make something a little similar to capers. The leaves are an interesting addition to salads, though I guess some people might not like their distinctive taste? Good for the bees too!

And don't forget broad beans! The ones from the shops are carp, but home grown and cooked as soon as poss from being picked and podded are a complete revelation! Absolutely delicious!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback