The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Options

Comments

• MrsMouse
    MrsMouse Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you patman99 and good luck for Saturday's job trial.
    MrsMouse
    #47 - 2020 MFW 449.29/1200
    #15 - 3/6 month Emergency Fund Challenge 661.89

2019 ~~ MFW: 1122.33 / EF: £1000
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »

Luckily, I do have a trial for a permanent job this Saturday and, if I enjoy it and they like me, i will take the role.

Good luck with the job trial, patman:beer:
  • MrsMouse
    Options
    I sat down this weekend and combed through all the financial stuff, and realised that the reason I've found it so hard to get this fund sorted is because I have so many little bits & pieces all over the place. Much like how I'm dealing with the home renovation project :D. So, I've sacrificed a few mini pots and things and basically shoved everything into my immediate Emergency Fund. £1k hit, so can you please remove me from this one challenge patman99.
    MrsMouse
    #47 - 2020 MFW 449.29/1200
    #15 - 3/6 month Emergency Fund Challenge 661.89

2019 ~~ MFW: 1122.33 / EF: £1000
  • grassgirl
    Options
    #46 checking in with £905.18
    1 step = £250
    0/100
  • grassgirl
    Options
    I did a master list brain dump and feel so much lighter now :)

Congratulations
    1 step = £250
    0/100
  • PositiveBalance
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    Welcome to our two newest members, MrsMouse who is #284 & fh2901 who is #285.

I will admit to having not been on here for a while, but have been busy trying to keep my head above water, I am currently an agency worker doing handyman and labouring on various building sites,
    Although this is well paid, the work is not as continuos as I need it to be.

For instance, this week I only had 2 days work. Last week was a full week, but the week before was only 3 days.
    Luckily, I do have a trial for a permanent job this Saturday and, if I enjoy it and they like me, i will take the role.

Anyway, I have about £80 in the EF at the moment, which is not where I want it to be.

This week's jobs -

Submit electricity reading & negotiate a reduction in monthly DD.
    Amend DMP to lower the monthly pay back amount.
    Finish off console table upcycle so I can get it listed,

I'm sorry to hear about the intermittent employment, patman. How did the trial go?
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • James1968
    Options
    News on the trial. I turned-up, but the fellow who invited me had decided to take the weekend off, so trial didn't take place.

Still, had a call from another agency who had spotted my cv online and am now working on the bins at the local council.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    James1968 wrote: »
    News on the trial. I turned-up, but the fellow who invited me had decided to take the weekend off, so trial didn't take place.

Still, had a call from another agency who had spotted my cv online and am now working on the bins at the local council.

What a pity about the trial not happening, especially as you turned up in good faith for it:eek:. The man who invited you for it doesn't sound the most dependable person to work with/for especially as he never bothered to tell you the trial was cancelled. You're probably best out of it:)

Well done on getting another job so fast:T. It probably isn't exactly what you're looking for long-term (I've nothing against bin work but I know you have lots of maintenance and 'fixing' skills that I expect you'd like to use). You deserve full marks and all the praise in the world for never sitting back when there's work to be had:beer:
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know with the Council role that once someone has been there a few months the Council will take them on permanently.
    At that point the wages go up as the Council pay living wage (unlike the Agency who pay NMW).

Plus, it opens up the chance to apply for other higher-paid roles within the Council as an employee.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• James1968
    Options
    Not a lot to update with.

Council role lasted 2 weeks. Did 4 days labouring on a site last week and have some on-going handyman work this week.

The really frustrating thing about my current situation is that, as a couple, me and mrsp. Have around £315,000 tied up in property (equity in the flat we own, plus 50% shares in my mum's estate and her dad's estate) but we struggle to survive dad to day.

Even though the handyman work pays well at £120 a day, the work can be sporadic, so i can't really plan for the future.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback