🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Removing/covering artex

Options
We've just had an offer accepted on a house that has artex everywhere and we'd like to get it skimmed over. It's quite a strong pattern, not just a few swirls. We think the house is about 40 years old, and we don't know how long the artex has been there or if it has asbestos in it.

Would a plasterer need us to get the artex tested before skimming it, and if it does contain asbestos would it cost a fortune to get rid of it?

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Would a plasterer need us to get the artex tested before skimming it,

Suggest you ask the plasterer but as he ( could be a she ?? ) is not breaking up the artex , would highly think the answer would be no.

Also think the risk of asbestos in Artex is hugely over stated, but then again I'm old enough to have survived lead in paint !!!
  • dirty_magic
    dirty_magic Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think it's probably overstated too but I'm just thinking about the costs!

We'd also like to knock a stud wall down that has artex on it so we'd probably need to get that checked before the OH gets too carried away!
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    n it so we'd probably need to get that checked

You could........ I would just do it .

Stud wall with atrex .......sounds wonderful!
  • dirty_magic
    Options
    Oh it is! Definitely has to go so we can have our nice big kitchen! It's a lovely house but parts of it are definitely stuck in the 80s!
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All of our downstairs rooms had lovely artex ceilings. We have gradually had them all redone. The plasterer said the best way was to re-board them and then skim over the top. This has worked a treat and we now have clean, smooth ceilings.

I didnt know there was any worry about asbestos, the plasterer certainly didnt say anything to us!
  • dirty_magic
    Options
    Hopefully there won't be any massive costs then. I haven't even thought about the ceilings yet! I'm more concerned about the walls since they'll be more noticeable.

It's got me thinking about which current trends are going to be massively dated in years to come. I can remember my parents being desperate for artex in the early 90s! When they got it the neighbours and my grandparents both copied because they were so impressed with it!
  • Lychee
    Lychee Posts: 446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've also just bought a house with artex on the wall and no idea how long it has been there for. The house is about 60 years old. None of the plasterers who came round to quote mentioned the word asbestos, which I wondered if they would. So probably get plasterers round to quote and see what they say :) The plasterer has since skimmed over the artex, there are small parts which he struggled to cover well because the pattern was so thick, but I don't think anyone would notice unless I specifically point it out.
  • john-306
    john-306 Posts: 722 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I want to cover the old artex that is in our kitchen, problem is it also has coving, so skimming or overboarding is a no go as it will cover the top lip of the coving itself, so it's either scraping it off or pulling down the whole lot coving and all
  • jellie
    jellie Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wallbash wrote: »
    Suggest you ask the plasterer but as he ( could be a she ?? ) is not breaking up the artex , would highly think the answer would be no.

They'll probably knock the high points off first though.
    john-306 wrote: »
    I want to cover the old artex that is in our kitchen, problem is it also has coving, so skimming or overboarding is a no go as it will cover the top lip of the coving itself, so it's either scraping it off or pulling down the whole lot coving and all

I had my artex ceiling skimmed and I've got coving. My pattern of artex had a fairly flat border round the edge of the ceiling so the plasterer feathered the skim to the edge of the coving. Worked a treat.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    All of our downstairs rooms had lovely artex ceilings. We have gradually had them all redone. The plasterer said the best way was to re-board them and then skim over the top. This has worked a treat and we now have clean, smooth ceilings.

I didnt know there was any worry about asbestos, the plasterer certainly didnt say anything to us!

Where have you been for the last 20 years:eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Now, I mean that without offence but I thought this had had enough publicity to alert 1 and all, obviously not?

Maybe your plasterer was either ignorant to the fact, in which case he may now be an ex-plaster or he didn't feel your ceiling fell into the period when asb was included in the mix/

Over board, yes, but even nailing or screwing could release asb fibres.

Simply plaster over?, probably the safest, but not giving the best finish,

And lastly, it's a small risk, I'm guessing a lesser risk than actually worrying about it;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family