Tell us about secret weekend locations that can be done on the cheap

2»

Comments

• sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Hi
    We're going to Glasgow for 3 nights. Its mid week not weekend but just under £150 for 3 nights in a Premier Inn & return train tickets for 4 which I think is good.

Jen
  • Margate - it's cheap and cheerful, and while we wait for Dreamland Amusement park to reopen next year, the beach is free! Stay in self-catering rather than hotels, much cheaper if there's a few of you, and much more comfy, plus you save on eating out, we stay at Dreamland Lets which takes all eight of us, working out at £12.50 pppn, bargain, Nip across the road to the Brewer's Inn for a 2for£10 dinner while the kids play free in their playground. Kent has lovely places to visit and a good bus / Megabus timetable, you can visit Canterbury - take a picnic and admire the outside of the cathedral for free - or Reculver Roman fort, free entry, or Turner Gallery, free entry, or just spend all your time on that big long sandy beach for free!
  • Look at youth hostels, check out the YHA website, it's not all dorms and shut during the day anymore, they have ensuite and family rooms with self-catering available, and are in lots of lovely locations, always on bus or train routes. Oh, and you don't have to be a youth, lol...
  • There is a fantastic deal called stay play explore for leicester, if you type this into google it comes up with the website, easy to find ( i have not been allowed to add the address here).

You get an overnight stay for a family of four and entry to three of five local attractions including twycross zoo, the space centre, conkers and others. When we went this month, it was £109 for all four of us. Bearing in mind entry to the zoo alone should have been over £40 this is a fantastic deal.

Well worth a look!
  • J.A.N. wrote: »
    There is a fantastic deal called stay play explore for Leicester:
    You get an overnight stay for a family of four and entry to three of five local attractions including twycross zoo, the space centre, conkers and others. When we went this month, it was £109 for all four of us. Bearing in mind entry to the zoo alone should have been over £40 this is a fantastic deal.

Well worth a look!

The website is: http://www.stayplayexplore.co.uk/ I had a look and it's great! As well as the above family package, a couple could get a night's stay, cocktails, dinner, lunch or afternoon tea for £109 - you get to choose which of the options you'd like.

Thanks J.A.N.! Anyone know if other cities offer this? Google didn't show anything.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Another one for Youth Hostels here, I am a member. I recently went from S!!!!horpe to the Lakes, Windermere area, on my bus pass, and back. Travel costs nil. I stayed five nights in Youth Hostels, £17 b & b, and had two nights in guest houses. Eight days, total cost £214. Walking holidays for me, maybe not to everyone's taste, but the YHA have city hostels as well.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills