Please share your fave make up dupes :)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
34 replies 4.5K views
faerielightfaerielight Forumite
1.8K Posts
Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
I just realized today whilst browsing for highlighters that E.L.F Pinktastic blush ( the beige bit, avoiding the pink veining) is a total dupe for Mac's Soft and gentle mineralize skin finish! So I wondered what budget dupes of high end make up have you discovered? The other ones I have is W7 Candy Floss Blush, a dupe for Benefit Dandilion , W7 Honalulu bronzer is a dupe for Benefit Hula and w7 Honey Queen Blush is a dupe for Benefit Sugarbomb blush. All of the w7 boxed blushes are about £ 3.50 and E.L.F Pinktastic blush is £3.95
Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)

Replies

• edited 30 September 2014 at 11:20PM
    RachRubyDRachRubyD Forumite
    418 Posts
    edited 30 September 2014 at 11:20PM
    Another dupe for soft and gentle is the accessorize baked bronzers or Famous by Sue Moxley Baked Bronzer in Miami. I don't want to advertise my own blog but I have a blog that's basically a review on dupes and most of the time I will have the original to compare it to.

Here is the Accessorize review and the Sue Moxley one, if you want to check it out.

Alot of the MUA single shadows are dupes for the MAC shadows and just as good think they are £1 still.

I didn't rate the w7 blushers, they spot on for the colour match to benefit but the outcome to me the same, they quite chalky and don't blend as well and just aren't as nice in my opinion.

I've got loads but hard to think of the top of my head right now. Most of the time things aren't exact dupes but I feel the drugstore quality is improving alot the last few years. The likes of Sleek and MUA are amazing for the price.
  • jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think that Mac make the colour cosmetics (eye shadows mainly) for both Boots No.7 and The Body Shop. I think also the liquid coloured eye liner in Boots No.7 has exactly the same consistency as Mac coloured liquid eye liners, sadly the colours don't work for me.
    The black looks pretty similar too but again not what I'm looking for (I prefer the felt tip types of the gel liner from Bobbi Brown which I've yet to find a suitable dupe for, many are similar but just lacking too much to be called a dupe).

I love Chanel nail varnish (I borrowed/stole my mum's purple Chanel polish and couldn't bring myself to hand it back before using it up...) The reason I really liked it is that it stayed put- so little chipping and also stayed glossy for a long time. I've tried many other brands but am yet to find one which works just as well, Rimmel is the nearest I've come to the non chipping if you use an over-coat but isn't exactly as strong.

L'Oreal Youth Code serum is not the same as the Lancôme (Genefique?) type it copied, but it comes closer than any other brand I've tried and does help with fine lines.

Nars make a really good cult classic called The Multiple, there are a wide variety of colours and with or without a shimmery illumination, but if you check out Superdrugs GOSH they have three of their own cheek-stick tints. The colours are limited so you may not find the same colour replicated but they do seem to have the same intensity and natural look. Not exactly the same, you will feel the difference but the look is the same and the ease of use is the same. Other brands get the intensity all wrong and you have to blend far more IMO.

If anyone knows of a decent brow-liner crayon which matches with Nars can you please let us all know- I really like the Kalamata brow perfector, its not affordable to me and all the other cheaper brow cosmetics are either pencils which break or run down far too fast (I hate brow pencils because they constantly need sharpening) or there are brow colour mascara type wands which only work if you have consistently thick brows, mine are only thick at one end and thin at the other-so thin that applying this stuff just looks daft :/ My brows are naturally a caramel blonde, not a good look for me to go natural! I saw the Soap and Glory type and liked that but £10 is a bit steep for me.
  • faerielightfaerielight Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    thanks guys.. I don't find the w7 ones too chalky, but I've not got the benefit ones to compare. They aren't too pigmented and I have to swipe them a few times though. I read about the soft and gentle dupe of the sue moxely one, but I couldn't seem to find a retailer.. I do love discovering budget dupes!
  • THe MUA Undressed pallets are dupes for the Urban Decay naked ones, and they are my HG. I was going to splash out on the real ones as I use the dupes pretty much every day, but thought why spend the money if I am so happy with these?!
    No more goo hoarding!

2018 UU: 9 IN: 1 TA: 0 Total: 58/67
    2017 UU: 50 IN: 16 TA: 2 Total: 42/78 2016 UU: 53 IN: 17 TA: 0 Total: 36/72
    2015 UU: 74 IN: 43 TA: 3 Total: 32/64
    2014 UU: 114 IN: 67 TA: 7 Total: 38/92
  • Ooh are the Mua undressed ones in superdrug? I've been wanting the urban decay one, but reluctant to shell out that much money.
  • fairy_lightsfairy_lights Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone got any ideas for a dupe of Smashbox primer? I use a lot of it and it's the only thing I've found to stop my face getting really shiny and oily, but at £24 a tube I'm desperate to fine a substitute!
  • I use the ELF primer, I'm happy with it, but not sure how it compares to smash box as I haven't tried it. At £24 a pop I probably never will either!
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone got any ideas for a dupe of Smashbox primer? I use a lot of it and it's the only thing I've found to stop my face getting really shiny and oily, but at £24 a tube I'm desperate to fine a substitute!

I've not tried it yet but the max factor primer has got good reviews from oily girls I know.
    Emergency Fund - £4695.03 / £5,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £3037.51
    LISA 2021 - £1221 :: NSD July - 3 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 39.2 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 545 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • faerielightfaerielight Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I use a mix of the elf primer and bare minerals redness reducing yellow primer.. the elf one is good, but I'm needing a pore reducing one.. any ideas? I have a sample of benefit porefessional but I'm looking for a dupe of that! I have 2 of the MUA naked palate dupes and one make up revolution naked palate dupe too (the iconic 1 ,2 and 3 palates. Both the MUA and the Make up Revolution palates are really good and a bargain at £4 each!
  • firefly5 wrote: »
    Ooh are the Mua undressed ones in superdrug? I've been wanting the urban decay one, but reluctant to shell out that much money.

Yep! Or on https://www.muastore.co.uk if you can't find them in store. there's the first one and the second one, and I wrote the UD names in the lid so I knew what dupes I was using.
    No more goo hoarding!

2018 UU: 9 IN: 1 TA: 0 Total: 58/67
    2017 UU: 50 IN: 16 TA: 2 Total: 42/78 2016 UU: 53 IN: 17 TA: 0 Total: 36/72
    2015 UU: 74 IN: 43 TA: 3 Total: 32/64
    2014 UU: 114 IN: 67 TA: 7 Total: 38/92
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you