Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Price to fit flooring

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
2 replies 551 views
debsthe1debsthe1 Forumite
90 Posts
We are thinking of replacing carpets in the hall and lounge with wood flooring. I would be grateful if someone would be able to give us an idea of fitting costs per square metre.

I am concerned that we will lose more heat with a wood floor, but my other half says this won't be a problem... is he correct?

Thanks for any help.
:)SW Convert - started 20/09/09 -3 Stone to lose!! :eek:
So far lost 11 1/2lbs :j

Replies

• onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the costs as I fitted my own. I haven't noticed any change in heat loss, but it's not something that's easy to measure.

I used a foil backed expanded polystyrene "underlay" to provide some insulation and as a vapour barrier and installed it floating (glued to itself) rather than screwed or glued down. To do a 16'x12' room it took me two days. Obviously professionals would be faster as I was being careful and hadn't done it before, but I think it would still take a good deal longer and therefore cost more than for a smiliar amount of carpet. Hopefully someone will be along that has had it fitted and can give an idea of costs.
    Home is where my books are.

Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    Mortgage neutral target Jun 2019, achieved Dec 2018.
  • cyclonebri1cyclonebri1 Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have done all my own, but it doesn't matter what we all say, you need quotes that are relevant to your area.

I went 1 stage further and replaced existing floorboards, insulated underneath, then fitted 18mm FG chip and 3/4" solid oak flooring.

Timber floors every time for me.;);)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
This discussion has been closed.