Price to fit flooring

Options
We are thinking of replacing carpets in the hall and lounge with wood flooring. I would be grateful if someone would be able to give us an idea of fitting costs per square metre.

I am concerned that we will lose more heat with a wood floor, but my other half says this won't be a problem... is he correct?

Thanks for any help.
:)SW Convert - started 20/09/09 -3 Stone to lose!! :eek:
So far lost 11 1/2lbs :j

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    I don't know the costs as I fitted my own. I haven't noticed any change in heat loss, but it's not something that's easy to measure.

I used a foil backed expanded polystyrene "underlay" to provide some insulation and as a vapour barrier and installed it floating (glued to itself) rather than screwed or glued down. To do a 16'x12' room it took me two days. Obviously professionals would be faster as I was being careful and hadn't done it before, but I think it would still take a good deal longer and therefore cost more than for a smiliar amount of carpet. Hopefully someone will be along that has had it fitted and can give an idea of costs.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    I too have done all my own, but it doesn't matter what we all say, you need quotes that are relevant to your area.

I went 1 stage further and replaced existing floorboards, insulated underneath, then fitted 18mm FG chip and 3/4" solid oak flooring.

Timber floors every time for me.;);)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport