affinity late payment fee £50

Options
hi,i have had trouble paying for my water bill but i managed to get the money together and pay this years bill of £498,however they have put a £50 late payment charge on top of this and the dept collection letters are coming through the door.Iknow i paid them late but £50 seems alot and anyway i am paid up untill next april now so what shall i do? pay up the £50 or protest

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Unmetered water bills are due 01 April. This is an extract from Affinity's website:
    Please let us know if you are experiencing problems paying. We cannot help if you don’t and we will take action to recover any money you owe us. If we do not receive a payment within 28 days of the payment due date a late payment charge of £10 will be applied to the overdue account. A further £10 charge will be applied every 30 days until the account is settled. These charges will not be applied where a Customer contacts the Company and agrees a payment plan to clear the outstanding debt. Any customer experiencing financial
    difficulty is urged to contact the Company and agree an appropriates
    schedule for payment in order to avoid these charges.

Further action we may take to recover outstanding monies may include the use of collection agents and if necessary the courts. However, before taking these more drastic steps we want to provide you with every opportunity possible to contact us so that a realistic instalment plan can be agreed.

Reminders sent to you will include a clear warning that if they are ignored we will take court action which may affect your credit rating and add extra legal costs to your bill.

The terms and conditions are approved by the Regulator, so it is difficult to see on what ground you can protest.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could have avoided this by contacting them and agreeing a repayment plan, as above.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • rendel
    Options
    Yes on reading the terms and conditions you are correct, Doh,fifty quid,they wont get me on that one again ,thanks for the replys
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure