Single Premium Mortgage PPI

Hi,

I'm brand spanking new to this forum so be nice! (Please?!)

I'm looking at my parents PPI and have come across a document that I believe shows they took out a single premium mortgage payment protection insurance in Oct 2007. This is what it says on the document:

"The insurance premium is a single payment payable on completion of the loan, valid for a period of five years and will not be reviewed through the five year period. If the premium is added to your loan (it was), interest will be charged on the premium at the same rate as the loan for the term of the loan.
The amount of the insurance premium is £18562.50
The interest cost of the insurance is £16919.10
Total cost £35481.60"

Now I know that mppi is still a valid financial product but the fact that this was added to their mortgage and that they paid interest on it again doesn't seem very fair. Also the interest seems alarmingly high...

My question is this, is single payment mppi deemed as unfair and/or mis-sold?
If so, how do I go about claiming? Do I use the normal PPI templates available on mse?

I've requested the statements so I can understand just what has gone on but it would be good to know if I have a direction to go in. We still have the mortgage and are a few years off from completion.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• Coincidentally, I was just exchanging a PM with somebody else about this.

The old Mortgage Code Compliance Board published Good Practice Notes about this.

Although the Mortgage Code was superseded by statutory regulation in 2007, it said that if single premium PPI was recommended then the cost of the premium plus the estimated interest on that premium over the entire mortgage term must be provided to the customer.

It seems, from what you say, that this was done.

So whilst, in most cases, single premium is a reason to uphold a PPI misselling complaint, it seems that in this instance it is not.
  • Ok, thank you for your help. I thought that there maybe something in paying interest twice, and a five year policy being paid over a longer period?
  • Single premium ppi is never a good starting point so I suggest your parents put in a complaint using the templates on MSE. They have been sold an expensive policy, most of which went to the seller for commission, then paid interest on top. Before assuming they were given all the facts and figures, also check the dates of the documents they were issued. It is no good the company telling them about the PPI if this was after the loan completed. Also, you mentioned it was only 5 years. If the loan still exists why was it only a 5 year policy. Don't be put off, go for it and if you get rejected take it to the FOS. If you have posted the right figures they could be due £18,000 plus interest so definitely worth pursuing
  • Possible also if the bank accepts the single premium reason and doesn't reject it as they can as per mortgage code quoted above, they may recalculate the protection as a monthly premium and just return the balance.
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • Great, thanks all. I'll have a try!
  • gremlin807gremlin807 Forumite
    8 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi
    A bit late to this party but hey ho!
    This is the first time I've heard for definite that there was such a thing as Single Payment Mortgage PPI - and more interestingly that it was embedded in the loan.
    Up until now I have been told that MPPI was always a separate monthly premium.  The above may explain why a couple of my mortgages had no visible separate monthly MPPI payment.

Nishk,
    If you are still out there, may I ask how you got on with trying to recover the MPPI, and who was the lender?
  • spareloginsparelogin Forumite
    96 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think after 7 years, Nishk may no longer be monitoring the thread...
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    112.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This is the first time I've heard for definite that there was such a thing as Single Payment Mortgage PPI - and more interestingly that it was embedded in the loan.

It is rare and none of the banks did it but a small number of mortgage brokers did.

Up until now I have been told that MPPI was always a separate monthly premium.  The above may explain why a couple of my mortgages had no visible separate monthly MPPI payment.

It nearly always was regular premium.  

If you are still out there, may I ask how you got on with trying to recover the MPPI, and who was the lender?

It doesn't matter who the lender was as none of the lenders did single premium MPPI.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Hi
    A bit late to this party but hey ho!
    Up until now I have been told that MPPI was always a separate monthly premium.  The above may explain why a couple of my mortgages had no visible separate monthly MPPI payment.

Nishk,

Whatever the circumstances, it's moot anyway as the deadline for complaints has long gone.
  • gremlin807gremlin807 Forumite
    8 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not entirely.....