Esa/Pip asking for help from doctor

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
9 replies 9.3K views
maxandmemaxandme Forumite
5 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with requesting support from your gp's by way of form filling regarding physical and mental health conditions in order to provide evidence/proof that your conditions are real and how they impact on your day to day life?

My own experience has been disastrous with me seemingly having the most unsympathetic useless gp practise on the planet:mad:

A brief run down- January 2104 i was diagnozed with severe copd stage 3, i already had asthma since 2000. I see my doctor almost every 2-3 weeks since because of various related.

Due to childhood trauma i have some mental health problems that as i get older seem to be getting more severe and so have been seeing a mental health facilitator at my gp surgery since about march 2014, have since been reffered to a psychiatrist clinic and am on waiting list to see a psycologist.

Right from the begining i have obviously discussed with my mental health facilitator and gp how these conditions affect me and how they affect my day to day life.

In april 2014 my mental health lady suggested i apply for pip, i had no idea what that was but she explained and said i would definately qualify due to both physical and mental health conditions.

Sorry for the long post but now to the point:) My pip assesment was at home yesterday, a week prior i had down loaded these forms ( not allowed to post link as new member!) and took them to the surgery requesting they be completed and ready for pick up no later than 8.30 am on friday 26th, i did offer a payment to both gp and mental health lady as they just over a week to get them done.

I was away on holiday last week arriving back on thursday evening ready for my assessment on friday, however whilst on holiday my daughter phoned to check how the forms were coming along, only to be told they could not fill them in as they do not live with me and couldnt answer things like ' is the person a risk to herself or anyone else using sharp implements', my daughter asked could they not use their own judgement based on my visits and conversations with them or simply skip these type of questions and answer the questions they did know, questions i have clearly spoken to them about. She was told no.

Next day i phoned and asked and was told the letter needed to be on headed paper:mad: I was absolutely furious and said the letter contained the name of the orginization that produced it and the reason why they felt it would help people like me along with i have to admit a host of ranting and screaming from me.

Needless to say friday morning the forms had not been filled in and was told i would recieve a call from the 'admin team' responsible for form fillling and the call never came.

I am absolutely furious with my gp surgery and want advise as to how i can make a formal complaint against them but also want to know if i have a right to demand they fill these forms in based on my discussions with both gp and mental health lady.

Would be very grateful for any advise and would also be interested in hearing your own experiences.

Replies

• My GP said no to my request for any help explaining my situation too. She also filled out my form for pip saying that I was well dressed and wore make up and wrote very little else. Not helpful at all and not nessasary.
    I then requested my GP notes going back some years paying around £30 and have sent these off to the DWP to give a better picture of my health as my GP has been so unhelpful.
    Luckily on my notes other doctors that I have seen have provided good write ups on my visits and listed my various problems. I hope this helps.
    I do feel like complaining about my GP and her messing up my PIP application but would it really get me anywhere? My GP seems to think that if you are able to apply make up then you cannot have a disability! Thought a GP would know better than this.
    Anyway maybe you could request a copy of your GP notes and see what has been written about your health to maybe then forward to the DWP as further evidence. Good luck.
  • Thankyou for your reply hmf, i agree absolutely unecessary to write about make up and dress, it's almost like these doctors have an agenda!
    I just think these people are the ONLY people who can verify what you are saying on the forms and as medical people should have at least a general knowledege and basic understanding of how these conditions affect people.

Part of my mental health problems is paranoia and trust, i read somewhere that the goverment pay gp's NOT to fill in forms like this, not to write personal opinions or lengthy descriptions but simple facts, ie. she has copd, i can't for the life of me find where i saw it written but i am still digging, so because of this i will not let this matter drop until i have made a complaint and gotten my forms filled in to reflect what i have discussed with the doctor etc.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxandme wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wondering if anyone has had experience with requesting support from your gp's by way of form filling regarding physical and mental health conditions in order to provide evidence/proof that your conditions are real and how they impact on your day to day life?

My own experience has been disastrous with me seemingly having the most unsympathetic useless gp practise on the planet:mad:

A brief run down- January 2104 i was diagnozed with severe copd stage 3, i already had asthma since 2000. I see my doctor almost every 2-3 weeks since because of various related.

Due to childhood trauma i have some mental health problems that as i get older seem to be getting more severe and so have been seeing a mental health facilitator at my gp surgery since about march 2014, have since been reffered to a psychiatrist clinic and am on waiting list to see a psycologist.

Right from the begining i have obviously discussed with my mental health facilitator and gp how these conditions affect me and how they affect my day to day life.

In april 2014 my mental health lady suggested i apply for pip, i had no idea what that was but she explained and said i would definately qualify due to both physical and mental health conditions.

Sorry for the long post but now to the point:) My pip assesment was at home yesterday, a week prior i had down loaded these forms ( not allowed to post link as new member!) and took them to the surgery requesting they be completed and ready for pick up no later than 8.30 am on friday 26th, i did offer a payment to both gp and mental health lady as they just over a week to get them done.

I was away on holiday last week arriving back on thursday evening ready for my assessment on friday, however whilst on holiday my daughter phoned to check how the forms were coming along, only to be told they could not fill them in as they do not live with me and couldnt answer things like ' is the person a risk to herself or anyone else using sharp implements', my daughter asked could they not use their own judgement based on my visits and conversations with them or simply skip these type of questions and answer the questions they did know, questions i have clearly spoken to them about. She was told no.

Next day i phoned and asked and was told the letter needed to be on headed paper:mad: I was absolutely furious and said the letter contained the name of the orginization that produced it and the reason why they felt it would help people like me along with i have to admit a host of ranting and screaming from me.

Needless to say friday morning the forms had not been filled in and was told i would recieve a call from the 'admin team' responsible for form fillling and the call never came.

I am absolutely furious with my gp surgery and want advise as to how i can make a formal complaint against them but also want to know if i have a right to demand they fill these forms in based on my discussions with both gp and mental health lady.

Would be very grateful for any advise and would also be interested in hearing your own experiences.
    Hi, Your GP surgery should have their own complaints procedure. I would advice that you contact your GP practice manager and he/she will inform you of what you have to do to complain.
  • tomtontomtomtontom
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you link to the form you asked the GP to complete?

I'm not sure that you understand the remit of the GP in this instance. They would not normally complete a non official form, it would need to be either the ESA113 provided by the DWP or a medical letter. In your example they cannot state you to be a risk to yourself without medical evidence to support this, and that needs to be more than your word. I would suggest asking your GP or the practice manager what they normally offer for benefit claims, but keep in mind that this may come at a cost, and it may be far less prescriptive than you hope.
  • poppy12345 wrote: »
    Hi, Your GP surgery should have their own complaints procedure. I would advice that you contact your GP practice manager and he/she will inform you of what you have to do to complain.

Thankyou for your helpful reply, i have an appointment next tuesday and will do exactly that.;)
  • tomtontom wrote: »
    Can you link to the form you asked the GP to complete?

I'm not sure that you understand the remit of the GP in this instance. They would not normally complete a non official form, it would need to be either the ESA113 provided by the DWP or a medical letter. In your example they cannot state you to be a risk to yourself without medical evidence to support this, and that needs to be more than your word. I would suggest asking your GP or the practice manager what they normally offer for benefit claims, but keep in mind that this may come at a cost, and it may be far less prescriptive than you hope.

Thankyou for your reply, i can't put the link in here as i am a newbie was the message i got when trying to post it. I have copied and pasted the forms here, they are lengthy so hope it doesnt kill the forum!

Just to add i did make a few changes to the letter and also offered payment to each person as i gave them just over a week to complete it, not all but many of the questions asked i have discussed with both my doctor and mental health lady way back in january onwards so its not like they don't know the answers and as i said surely their medical background would give them some knowledge into how debillitating certain conditions are? I plan to see the practise manager on tuesday, thankyou both for the suggestion.

Work Capability Assessment - Evidence Letter

Overview
    Capability
    ESA50 Questionnaire
    Medical
    What next
    Evidence letter

Evidence Letter for ESA Claims

To: (add name of professional) …………………….……………………………..

Address: (add address of professional) …………………………………………..

…………………………………………………………………………………………

Date: (add date) ……………...........

Dear Sir/madam (delete as applicable)

Re: Name: (add your details)…………………………………………………………..

Address: ………………………………………………………………………………….

D.o.B: …………………………………

I am currently making a claim for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and for Personal independance Payment (PIP) as I am unfit for work.
    It has been established that evidence from medical professionals involved with the diagnosis, care and treatment of a patient can be extremely useful in helping decision makers at the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to make decisions. Evidence from medical professionals can also help a decision to be made at the initial claim stage and could eliminate the stress of having to go through an appeal or medical assessment.

I would be very grateful therefore if you could fill in this form and i or a family memeber will collect it on completion.

Rethink Mental illness have provided these documents. The information contained therefore focuses on mental rather than physical health needs, however a space has been provided at the end of the form relating to my physical health needs in addition to my mental needs and how my physical health impacts on my day to day life as has been discussed in appointments with yourself. I would be grateful for any information that you could provide.

Yours sincerely

1. Please state what conditions I suffer from and what medications and treatments have been prescribed.

2. How is my ability to learn simple tasks (e.g. setting an alarm clock or operating a washing machine) affected by my medical condition(s) or any treatment I am receiving for my medical condition(s)?

3. How is my awareness of everyday hazards, e.g. Boiling water or sharp objects, affected by my medical conditions(s) or any treatment I am receiving for my conditions(s)? Does this pose a significant risk to my safety or other’s?

4. How is my ability to initiate and complete personal tasks affected by my medical condition(s) or any medication I am taking?

5. How is my ability to initiate and cope with change affected by my medical conditions? Does this affect my ability to manage my day to day life?

6. How is my ability to get to places affected by my medical conditions? Do I need supervision to get to familiar or unfamiliar places?

7. How is my ability to cope with social engagement affected by my medical conditions? Am I caused distress by social engagement and does this preclude social engagement?

8. How is my behaviour, when considering the appropriateness of the behaviour, affected by my medical conditions? Do I show signs of aggressive, uncontrolled or disinhibited behavior? And would this be unreasonable in a workplace?

9. If I am required to attend work focused interviews or job programmes. Would this have a detrimental affect on my health? If yes, how would I be affected?

10. Physical conditions, please list and how does this impact on my day to day life?

Signature Date

Hospital/Surgery Stamp

Thank you very much, in advance for any help you can provide towards my claim
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxandme wrote: »
    Thankyou for your reply, i can't put the link in here as i am a newbie was the message i got when trying to post it. I have copied and pasted the forms here, they are lengthy so hope it doesnt kill the forum!

Just to add i did make a few changes to the letter and also offered payment to each person as i gave them just over a week to complete it, not all but many of the questions asked i have discussed with both my doctor and mental health lady way back in january onwards so its not like they don't know the answers and as i said surely their medical background would give them some knowledge into how debillitating certain conditions are? I plan to see the practise manager on tuesday, thankyou both for the suggestion.

Overview
    Capability
    ESA50 Questionnaire
    Medical
    What next
    Evidence letter

I am currently making a claim for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and for Personal independance Payment (PIP) as I am unfit for work.
    It has been established that evidence from medical professionals involved with the diagnosis, care and treatment of a patient can be extremely useful in helping decision makers at the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to make decisions. Evidence from medical professionals can also help a decision to be made at the initial claim stage and could eliminate the stress of having to go through an appeal or medical assessment.

I would be very grateful therefore if you could fill in this form and i or a family memeber will collect it on completion.

Rethink Mental illness have provided these documents. The information contained therefore focuses on mental rather than physical health needs, however a space has been provided at the end of the form relating to my physical health needs in addition to my mental needs and how my physical health impacts on my day to day life as has been discussed in appointments with yourself. I would be grateful for any information that you could provide.

Yours sincerely

1. Please state what conditions I suffer from and what medications and treatments have been prescribed.

2. How is my ability to learn simple tasks (e.g. setting an alarm clock or operating a washing machine) affected by my medical condition(s) or any treatment I am receiving for my medical condition(s)?

3. How is my awareness of everyday hazards, e.g. Boiling water or sharp objects, affected by my medical conditions(s) or any treatment I am receiving for my conditions(s)? Does this pose a significant risk to my safety or other’s?

4. How is my ability to initiate and complete personal tasks affected by my medical condition(s) or any medication I am taking?

5. How is my ability to initiate and cope with change affected by my medical conditions? Does this affect my ability to manage my day to day life?

6. How is my ability to get to places affected by my medical conditions? Do I need supervision to get to familiar or unfamiliar places?

7. How is my ability to cope with social engagement affected by my medical conditions? Am I caused distress by social engagement and does this preclude social engagement?

8. How is my behaviour, when considering the appropriateness of the behaviour, affected by my medical conditions? Do I show signs of aggressive, uncontrolled or disinhibited behavior? And would this be unreasonable in a workplace?

9. If I am required to attend work focused interviews or job programmes. Would this have a detrimental affect on my health? If yes, how would I be affected?

10. Physical conditions, please list and how does this impact on my day to day life?

Signature Date

Hospital/Surgery Stamp

Hi, Do you think you're asking the impossible from your GP? I don't understand how your GP would know if you have difficulty setting alarms, operating washing machines and a lot of other things you mentioned above. It would be more likely that a GP would tell them about your diagnosis, medication because your GP doesn't actually see what you can or can't do daily. He/she would only know about this if you told them and i'm not sure this would be enough of evidence for DWP. I would have thought you'd be better off asking someone that spends a lot of time with you. For EG husband/wife/child/parent to write a supporting letter for you. Another thing to remember is that PIP isn't about you not being able to work because people claim PIP/DLA and still work. PIP is all about how the condition affects you in daily life not about the condition itself. Do you see any consultants? If you do then you should send in any letters you have from them. I'm not against you with this i'm just trying to help you see that maybe your GP isn't the best person to help you with everything.
  • Blackpool_SaverBlackpool_Saver Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't expect my GP to fill all that in without a charge to be honest. However a short matter of fact letter detailing my main issues would be acceptable I think, how about you?
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• maxandme wrote: »

Overview
    Capability
    ESA50 Questionnaire
    Medical
    What next
    Evidence letter

Yours sincerely

Signature Date

Hospital/Surgery Stamp

For a start a GP is not required to complete such a form (seems to be a rehash of an old ESA one that the CAB used to use).

Secondly it is highly unlikely, even if the GP did complete it, that it would help you.

Personally I would give your GP a miss on this one.

Next, consultants. These vary, some will help with a letter others, like mine, actually got one from the DWP (ESA) and very nicely returned it to the DWP telling them that he had no intention of spending his valuable time filing that in - he was in the business of saving lives not reporting on his patients difficulties at home.
    Consultants cannot, unlike GP's, be forced to send anything to the DWP.

So you are back with Social Services/Mental Health

It's a hard slog I know, but at least you have the Tribunal to appear before to give verbal evidence and be cross examined.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals