🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

EE tell me they can't unlock my old iPhone 3GS

Options
I bought my iPhone 3GS from Orange about 5 years ago.

After the contract with them had run out I wanted to switch to another service provider but wanted to keep my number (even though I didn't plan to use that number with my new provider).

So, Orange sent me a PAYG sim card onto which my old number had been transferred, apparently.

I say apparently because I never actually activated the PAYG sim card. I just assumed that whenever I decided to take the old number up again I could use the PAYG sim card.

Fast forward to 2.5 years later when I wanted to dig out the old iPhone and give it to my son.

First shock: EE (overtaken by Orange) told me I would have to pay un unlocking charge of just over £20!!! I couldn't quite get my head around that. There had been no mention of unlocking charges when I terminated my Orange contract.

Second shock: EE had transferred my old phone number to someone else!

Third shock: EE tell me it's impossible for them to have my phone unlocked as they have no record of my phone. Despite me always owning it. Despite me being able to provide its serial and IMEI number

Fourth shock: EE tell me "there's nothing more we can do. Thank you and goodbye"

I told the representative that since they had rendered my phone unusable I wanted to be compensated for my loss. In response I was told "Nothing we can do about that".

Is it worth me taking them to the small claims court. I'm pretty peeved that I no longer have a phone that I can use - through no fault of my own.

I haven't investigated whether or not I can use my phone with an EE sim. I just want my phone to be unlocked so that I can join GiffGaff - who don't charge for phone unlocking when you leave them.

Anyone else faced a similar situation?

How did you resolve it?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• gycraig_2
    Options
    It's not a legal requirement for them to unlock your phone and it is a gesture of good will as far as I'm aware, it hasn't been rendered unusable it's in the exact same condition as it was sold to you. Have you tried contacting orange instead of ee as they have seperate systems

All phone numbers / Payg sims are recycled after 6 months of none use
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    [QUOTE=smiledotcom;66599083
    So, Orange sent me a PAYG sim card onto which my old number had been transferred, apparently.

I say apparently because I never actually activated the PAYG sim card. I just assumed that whenever I decided to take the old number up again I could use the PAYG sim card.

Fast forward to 2.5 years later when I wanted to dig out the old iPhone and give it to my son.

First shock: EE (overtaken by Orange) told me I would have to pay un unlocking charge of just over £20!!! I couldn't quite get my head around that. There had been no mention of unlocking charges when I terminated my Orange contract.

Second shock: EE had transferred my old phone number to someone else!

Third shock: EE tell me it's impossible for them to have my phone unlocked as they have no record of my phone. Despite me always owning it. Despite me being able to provide its serial and IMEI number

[/QUOTE]
    All sim cards expire after 6 months if not used so no surprise 2 1/2 years later the number has gone.

If it was Orange that the phone came from have you asked them about unlocking ?

You could always put an Orange sim in the phone
    It's not just about the money
  • smiledotcom
    Options
    You can tell how out of touch I am with all of this because I didn't realise that I could even contact Orange - I thought they now came under EE's umbrella!

If Orange are contactable - and may therefore be able to remedy this by applying to Apple to get my phone unlocked - then it seems odd that nobody from EE ever suggested I should contact Orange...especially as EE and I seem to have reached a stalemate because they have no record of my phone.

I said my phone is unusable. Of course, it's possible that it would work with an EE PAYG sim (I haven't tried that) but why should I have to do that - it's my phone. Surely I should be able to use it with any provider I like?

Or maybe I am just completely out of touch with how all of this works?

I don't know but I'd appreciate your continuing advice! Thanks
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Or maybe I am just completely out of touch with how all of this works?
    You are.
    Use your phone with EE sim for 6 months and they will do you a favour of unlocking it for just £20ish.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    Er, if it's locked to Orange it won't work with EE.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Er, if it's locked to Orange it won't work with EE.

Orange locked should normally work with an EE or T-Mobile sim as well.
    ====
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options

I said my phone is unusable. Of course, it's possible that it would work with an EE PAYG sim (I haven't tried that) but why should I have to do that - it's my phone. Surely I should be able to use it with any provider I like?

No it won't work with a EE sim it would work with an Orange sim though
    It's not just about the money
  • d123
    Options
    Silk wrote: »
    No it won't work with a EE sim it would work with an Orange sim though

What do you base that statement on?
    ====
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 September 2014 at 11:08PM
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Orange locked should normally work with an EE or T-Mobile sim as well.

Really, you know that do you?

Phones currently supplied by EE, Orange or T Mobile may work on all three but this is a 2.5 year old phone.
  • d123
    Options
    Really, you know that do you?

Yes, I base my statement on the fact I have worked for the network and have also personally used an EE sim, a T-Mobile sim and a Virgin sim in an Orange locked iPhone 3GS.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family