🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tesco Mobile Abroad

Options
Hello.

Been with Tesco for years now and been very happy as a light user. I went to Galway for a stag-do last week, got the usual network terms+conditions text when I landed, but then couldn't use my phone for the entire weekend, voicemail stating "You need to top up to continue". I'm on a 20/month 24-month contact. Not a disaster, just wanted to check-in with the wife.

Can anyone tell me why I was blocked?

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That would be the network you were roaming on not logging your phone on the right system.
    You might have cleared it by manually changing network.

Was the number on payg at some point in the past? That sometimes confuses other networks?
  • MikeWhite
    Options
    Hello.

Been with Tesco for years now and been very happy as a light user. I went to Galway for a stag-do last week, got the usual network terms+conditions text when I landed, but then couldn't use my phone for the entire weekend, voicemail stating "You need to top up to continue". I'm on a 20/month 24-month contact. Not a disaster, just wanted to check-in with the wife.

Can anyone tell me why I was blocked?

Just a thought: is your contract capped?
    Mike
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    MikeWhite wrote: »
    Just a thought: is your contract capped?
    Mike

Exactly that.

Also try calling any premium (0845 or 0870 rather than any "adult")a and some 0800 lines in the UK and that's blocked too unless you have put some credit on it.
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    As the other posters have said - my DD has a capped Tesco contract, and I thought (I'm not sure) that I read that she needed to top up an additional amount which would be used if she makes calls abroad.
  • albionrovers
    Options
    Yes, capped contract. Thanks folks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business