TV rental firm - won't let us cancel

Options
Hi
I hope someone can help. My parents rent their tv - don't get me started on what a ridiculous thing I think it is for them to do. I have tried anf finally got them to realise what a waste of money it is - £70 a month! I have got a second hand stand for them and they are saving for the TV (they have very little money!).

They called the company to cancel with 1 months notice only to be told that their terms have changed and that although they are now out of their initial contract it auto renews for another 6 months and they have to wait another 5 months! They haven't receieved any paperwork to say this.

Can they get out of it at all?
£2 Savers club £0/£150
1p a day £/

Comments

• Marktheshark
    Options
    All that is relevant is on the contract they signed above their signature.
    Read this in regards to cancellation.
    Ignore anything else including the blurb they are spouting.
    Come back with that info.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No - they cannot make material changes the terms without both parties consenting.

Get on the phone to them again and be firm!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £70 a month!(they have very little money!).

At £70 a month no wonder they have very little money. As others have said, contact the firm and be firm!!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    £70 per month!?! Is it a 60" UHD (4K) one? :eek:
  • halibut2209
    Options
    Which company is it?
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • lindsaygalaxy
    Options
    I'm not sure on the phone, one of the big ones on the internet i think (not b*house).

Don't get me started, I have no idea what made them do it! It is pretty big but nothing you couldnt buy now for a few hundred. To make it worse nearly £30 a month of it is just to rent the b****y stand! Makes me so cross with the company for taking the mick (my dad has no concept of how much things cost and my mum has mental health issues) and my parents for being so daft!
    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    They called the company to cancel with 1 months notice only to be told that their terms have changed and that although they are now out of their initial contract it auto renews for another 6 months and they have to wait another 5 months! They haven't receieved any paperwork to say this.

The original contract would have to talk about what happens at the end of the contract, namely does it renew or not, do they have to contact you etc. First thing to check is that they have followed these terms.

If they advise the terms were varied then you need to ge a copy of the changes as well as confirmation as to when those terms were sent to you. Its a bit odd if they are internet savvy enough to organise this online that they cannot price check. Are you sure they'd have kept new terms if they arrived by email or post?

Again, check the original contract about variation of terms, often contracts will allow variation with appropriate notice. Make sure they have complied with their own terms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure