🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

O2 Upgrade options to get the new iPhone 6… Retentions experience anybody?

Options
So my contract is finished, I'm happy enough with the calls/text/data and the price but for sure if I go for the iPhone 6 64gb (I have a 5 64gb) I will see my monthly go up on a new contract even via upgrade.

What I'm wondering is… have any of you already done this step and spoke to Retentions and managed to get anything half decent for your upgrade with O2?

Ideally I want to keep my number, and pay as little per month as possible… like most of us! I do like the idea of the outright purchase and carrying on as is or going with a cheaper giffgaff but the retentions route would be the cleanest route if the cost made it worthwhile.

I could also wait six months, I'm happy enough with the iOS8 on my 5 for now and I don't really want to travel with a brand new phone but it's good to hear your experiences so I can see what options are available.

:beer:

Comments

• gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    db21111 wrote: »
    What I'm wondering is… have any of you already done this step and spoke to Retentions and managed to get anything half decent for your upgrade with O2?

The iPhone 6 is new and will sell itself very well for a while. O2 (and all the other networks) have limited stock, with most places quoting at least a week lead times.

Unless you are spending a lot of money each month with them the networks are very unlikely to do any form of deal at the moment, as they don't have to as its in such demand.

The best way forward short term is call O2 and ask to be moved to a 1 month rolling SIM ONLY plan, that will reduce your monthly cost (now the subsides gone there no need to pay more back than you have to) and it gives you the flexibility to move networks when something comes up that's right for you.

See - https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity

If you want to go GiffGaff (or any other network, you'll need to request a PAC and port the number to another network, but if your jsut waiting till something right comes along it may be a hassle to do it for a short term.
  • db21111
    db21111 Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks! Great advice

I am paying 26 at the moment, potentially i can get it down to 22 for the time being.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to save you'll probably need to switch, but before you decide look at your use and decide what you really need, so you really need unlimited calls and 2GB data.
  • db21111
    Options
    gjchester wrote: »
    If you want to save you'll probably need to switch, but before you decide look at your use and decide what you really need, so you really need unlimited calls and 2GB data.

I didn't even realise I had unlimited calls and texts, I don't need so many minutes, nor texts for that matter, so i would have leeway there, likely with another company.
  • db21111 wrote: »
    I didn't even realise I had unlimited calls and texts, I don't need so many minutes, nor texts for that matter, so i would have leeway there, likely with another company.

I think to get the best deal with O2 on the Iphone 6 64gb you would need either pay an upfront fee or as you suggested reduce your tariff but with O2 refresh (this is what you will have go on to if you upgrade with them.) it is expensive so maybe wait a while while excitement of the iphone dies down and then maybe you will get a better deal.

but to get the Iphone 6 or 6+ you will be paying much more than you currently are unless you pay a huge upfront fee.

Have a look on Uswitch which will have the best deals on the iphone 6 and 6+ with the different networks.

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/deals/apple_iphone_6_16gb_grey/
  • 19lottie82
    Options
    As I advised in the o2 retentions thread, they won't offer you a deal on an iphone 6. without meaning to sound rude, why should they? they're flying out the door already, they don't need to entice anyone to take one.

If you are looking to buy the handset outright (tho a 64gb model alone with no call plan, will cost you more than your current £26 a month), Virgin Mobile have some good SIM only deals.

But if you think you have any chance of getting an iphone 6 on a contract for £26 a month, from anyone, then you're dreaming. Sorry.
  • corf999
    Options
    A 64gb iphone 6 would cost £25.80 a month for just the phone when spread out over 2 years.

Add a cheap sim only deal and you'll be looking at £35-£40 a month.
  • db21111
    db21111 Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    As I advised in the o2 retentions thread, they won't offer you a deal on an iphone 6. without meaning to sound rude, why should they? they're flying out the door already, they don't need to entice anyone to take one.

If you are looking to buy the handset outright (tho a 64gb model alone with no call plan, will cost you more than your current £26 a month), Virgin Mobile have some good SIM only deals.

But if you think you have any chance of getting an iphone 6 on a contract for £26 a month, from anyone, then you're dreaming. Sorry.

Thanks, good advice. Wasn't expecting or dreaming fortunately :) Just seeing what people's experiences were so far. As I said "but for sure if I go for the iPhone 6 64gb (I have a 5 64gb) I will see my monthly go up on a new contract even via upgrade."
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    be a very flexible phone anyway lol
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • baby_frogmella
    baby_frogmella Posts: 1,556 Forumite
    edited 25 September 2014 at 7:04PM
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    be a very flexible phone anyway lol

Eh? What's this got to do with the OPs question? I suspect you can't afford an Apple iPhone hence your constant hijacking/trolling of iPhone threads.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport