Extra driver charge without my knowledge

Options
Hi

This is probably my mistake but I just want to check as I feel a bit peeved.

At Nice airport I picked up my hire car, pre-booked with a voucher. I was asked if I'd like to add my wife. I asked if I needed to pay, and they said no, so I thought I may as well, even tho she had no intention of driving.

AT drop off I was not given a receipt or invoice so I had no idea of any extra charges they intended to apply.

Some time after I got home I discovered they charged me about £50 for the privilege, because I agreed in a 'contract'. I haven't seen this document though.

Do I have a leg to stand on?

Comments

• slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What car hire company did you use?

In UK adding my wife's name to my own car insurance will for some reason reduce the premium.
    But she won't drive in Europe so I never bother when hiring cars there.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • fatbadger2
    Options
    Hi - thanks but I think insurance and car hire are quite different. My point is is it legitimate for them to debit my account several weeks later when I wasn't told of this extra cost?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fatbadger2 wrote: »
    Hi - thanks but I think insurance and car hire are quite different. My point is is it legitimate for them to debit my account several weeks later when I wasn't told of this extra cost?

According to your OP you asked and they said there was no additional charge. In which case you have a right to contact your card issuer and ask for the charge to be reversed.

Had you simply not asked, then you could not complain after the event to find that a charge had been added.
  • fatbadger2
    Options
    Thanks.
    They say I signed a contract to that effect (though I don't have a copy). But I may well have signed it without reading the small print.

If I did sign something with the extra cost on, is that the end?

I will see if I can get a copy.

cheers
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fatbadger2 wrote: »
    Thanks.
    They say I signed a contract to that effect (though I don't have a copy). But I may well have signed it without reading the small print.

If I did sign something with the extra cost on, is that the end?

I will see if I can get a copy.

cheers

Contact your card issuer (there is a time limit for a chargeback and if you wait for a copy of the contract you might miss this).

If in fact there is no contract and you are sure that you asked about an additional charge and were told there wasn't one then you should get your money back.

If they do have a contract but you are sure that (i) they lied to you about what was in the contract and (ii) you did not have an opportunity to check it then again you would have a strong case for a chargeback.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure