Sky TV ending - what now?!

I have cancelled my Sky TV (still having broadband and phone with them) and had an email saying on the day it ends next week I will 'see a blue screen'. What does this mean and what do I need to do to be able to watch TV?! Do I need to buy a Freeview box or something? Any advice welcome!

Comments

• Hi I cancel sky between March and October every year for the last 3 years. Your I presume HD box will still get 255 free channels, although 10% are only worth watching, you also cant record programes any more or watch what u have in the hard disc/planner.
    If your happy with that great, alternatively if you want something more phone sky wait for an offer be pleasant and decline it by saying thanks but its just too much. They then will ask you what you can afford, to which you reply £10 a month but i dont expect you to go that low on a deal. You will then hear tapping on a keyboard and an offer for entertainment and movies for around £15 a month for 12 months.
    Or have a look at the roku 3.
  • Thanks Coffeekup that's useful advice. So once the 'blue screen' appears, how do I get to the channels you mention - do I have to re-tune or can I use the 'Planner' like I do now to access them? Thanks in advance.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2014 at 7:50AM
    hum_lovely wrote: »
    Thanks Coffeekup that's useful advice. So once the 'blue screen' appears, how do I get to the channels you mention - do I have to re-tune or can I use the 'Planner' like I do now to access them? Thanks in advance.

The "blue screen" will only apply to subscription channels like Sky1 and even then there will be a box telling you to call to subscribe.

All the appropriate free channels will continue to work without you doing anything. To get the maximum number of channels you need to get a 25 quid FreeSat Sky card but given the small differences you may not feel its a worthwhile investment
  • All the appropriate free channels will continue to work without you doing anything. To get the maximum number of channels you need to get a 25 quid FreeSat Sky card but given the small differences you may not feel its a worthwhile investment

Are you sure the viewing card doesnt just turn into a FFfromS card, I cant see any channels listed here:

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/what-can-i-watch/

That you donot get from a simple lapsed Sky card.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You'll get all the Freesat from Sky channels without doing anything. If you want the PVR functions then you'll need to buy a Freesat PVR and use that as a straight swap for your Sky box-nothing else required.
    Freeview is not available to you unless you have an aerial.
    You will also lose access to any recorded programmes on Sky+.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Are you sure the viewing card doesnt just turn into a FFfromS card

It certainly didnt used to be identical but there were only a couple of channels difference hence saying the 25 quid may not be worth it. Things may have changed in recent years though.

EDIT: Looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freesat_from_Sky it would suggest that they have changed since last time I looked
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    To get the maximum number of channels you need to get a 25 quid FreeSat Sky card
    NO! As Kurtis_Blue and macman say, when your subscription stops, your 'subscription card' inside your box effectively becomes a FSFS card. Don't waste £25.
    Unless you can find a channel InsideInsurance that's available on one and not the other?
  • Many thanks for all your advice folks!
  • almillar wrote: »
    NO! As Kurtis_Blue and macman say, when your subscription stops, your 'subscription card' inside your box effectively becomes a FSFS card. Don't waste £25.
    Unless you can find a channel InsideInsurance that's available on one and not the other?

Why not read my post made almost 3 hours before yours?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    II - it doesn't contain any channels that FSFS has, that you don't receive if you just cancel. That's what we're talking about. Please don't confuse Freesat, FSFS and free satellite, all different things.
    If I'm wrong, please tell me the channels.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure