PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moving to London - is it possible?

Options

Comments

• Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 September 2014 at 9:57AM
    Options
    With £240k you could probably just about get a 3 bed somewhere like Welling or Plumstead, SE London / Kent borders.

However, they aren't particularly nice areas and whilst I have no direct knowledge of the schools around there I'm going to wager that they aren't up to much.

You would struggle to get a house for that in Welling. Kent borders are expensive, especially out this way.

I would imagine the Medway towns are the best bet, but travel costs would be high, and the areas aren't that nice.

£30k is not a particularly good wage, in London...so think carefully. London living costs tend to be very high.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee!
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Pidge_jen
    Options
    I wouldn't work in London for any less than 40k. We live in herts and even with 2 of us bringing in above average wages, we would struggle to pay for commuting costs without this uplift (I'm currently on 30k and so is he). Plus the hour or so you spend commuting each way isn't worth the sacrifice to me, it's 6k for a season ticket just into London, without tube or bus costs when you get there to travel around. My in laws live up north and looking at their quality of life compared to ours, I would stay up there - if we weren't tied to our jobs down here we would probably move. Also, despite our wages we cannot afford even a 3 bed house to buy in a decent area in our town.
    Baby due 21/06/2017 :)
  • DesignDad
    Options
    This doesn't seem realistic, considering what you want. Your commute will be lengthly and the house you expect will most definitely be in a less than perfect area, and as for the 4 bedrooms, good luck.
    I'd strongly suggest sticking it out and waiting or a better job where you live, and then move out into a better area there, and enjoy the better lifestyle. 30k in London is literally nothing. I've just been offered a new job on nearly twice that and live in West Yorkshire. I'll not lie but i feel like me and the wife live like Royalty and in a very nice house too, in a beautiful area.

Have a long hard think before moving to London. My mates are earning similar to me 60+ and I'm not envious of their lives at all.
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in London now, and I'm earning about three times what I did when I lived in the North. The house I had in the North was much larger, and in a much nicer area, than the flat I live in now.

London has many advantages, but housing is not one of them. Unless you have a serious amount of capital behind you, I think a £30k wage to support five people living in a nice area is hopelessly unrealistic.

It becomes a bit more realistic if your wife also works, and also earns £30k - but then presumably childcare will be a problem.
  • princeofpounds
    Options
    Agree with all the others; I would not do this.

Low wage people basically make ends meet by a) house sharing or b) being lucky enough to find themselves in the state housing system.

Your lifestyle would sink massively.

Plus the schools your children will go to will probably be much worse (although not necessarily)
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You will not be able to buy in London at this level.
    Why are you so keen to move there?
  • GoldenShadow
    Options
    I live in a home county 35 mins from Liverpool st. My boyfriend and I have combined income of 52K, no debt, no dependants, but won't be looking at anything priced at more than 220K and ideally would be looking more around the 180K mark.

I don't think I ever want to work in London, if I do it will be within the next five years. Lots of my friends are Londoners and intend to stay forever but I am a country gal. Won't catch me doing the family thing even where I am now!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »
    You wont buy anything in London for £240k.
    If only somebody would launch a website that allowed you to do a search for, say, 3-4 bed properties under £240k in London. They'd make a fortune!

Oh, wait, they have.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E87490&maxPrice=240000&minBedrooms=3&maxBedrooms=4&retirement=false&partBuyPartRent=false

Are these prime properties in the best areas of London? Of course not. But they DO exist. In non-trivial quantities.
  • Running_Horse
    Options
    Hurrah. Let's all relocate to Thamesmead.
    Been away for a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport