MSE News: People flogging their old mobile handset could be throwing away £80

Options
People looking to cash-in their old mobiles could find themselves up to £79 out of pocket if they don't compare prices...
Read the full story:

People flogging their old mobile handset could be throwing away £80

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 September 2014 at 9:52AM
    Options
    I did some brief checks on your Mobile Valuer site.

5 of my phones are not listed, including one which goes for £20 to £40 on eBay. One which is listed gets £2 to £4, compared to eBay completed sales for £20 to over £50; another that MobileValuer has two sites offering £2 and £3 goes for £5 to about £30 on eBay.

Do any of these so-called recycling sites merely resell the phones on eBay at a profit?
  • Zebrdee
    Options
    Sell your old Nokia on eBay for ten or twenty times what they're paying.
  • What about the really old basic phones that these companies don't want? Is there any way to dispose of them and still get a small amount of cash and if not how should they be disposed of?
  • kingrulzuk
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    I did some brief checks on your Mobile Valuer site.

5 of my phones are not listed, including one which goes for £20 to £40 on eBay. One which is listed gets £2 to £4, compared to eBay completed sales for £20 to over £50; another that MobileValuer has two sites offering £2 and £3 goes for £5 to about £30 on eBay.

Do any of these so-called recycling sites merely resell the phones on eBay at a profit?

No they dont sell them on ebay. what they do is refurbished the phone and then sell them the the 3rd world country. the phones which dont work they recycle the parts to chine and india. also they get little bit of gold which is in the phones they sell and make money.
    This is a big money making business
    What happens if you push this button?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family