Lloyds Bank refusing to refund Bank Charges

Options
I don't mean to upset anyone who's annoyed with seeing repetitive posts about Bank Charges but I could really use some constructive advice about what to do next.

After seeing lots of people successfully claiming back their bank charges I decided I would try my luck as in the last 4 years Lloyd's have taken almost £2000 in charges.

In the past I have been in receipt of certain benefits but at the time of emailing the CEO of Lloyd's I wasn't aware of the legislation I could quote (whether it works or not)
As well as asking for my charges back, stating and proving financial hardship, even sending them a financial expenditure to show how my situation still is and informing them that being credited the money will mean I can free myself of the snowball situation I'm still in which means avoiding more changes and can therefore better the life of my children, i receive a refusal letter back stating that the charges were not unfair (despite most being charges upon charges!) and using the Supreme Court ruling as a get out of jail card.
Is it worth pursuing or leaving it?
And does the Supreme Court ruling mean there's no hope at all for a refund?

Thanks in advance all

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    After seeing lots of people successfully claiming back their bank charges I decided I would try my luck as in the last 4 years Lloyd's have taken almost £2000 in charges.

There are not lots of people successfully claiming back their charges. Since the banks won the court case, the successes have come from banks offering goodwill payments to those in current financial hardship. Goodwill payments to first time or infrequent offenders and incorrect application of charges or mis-sold packaged accounts.
    In the past I have been in receipt of certain benefits but at the time of emailing the CEO of Lloyd's I wasn't aware of the legislation I could quote (whether it works or not)
    It doesnt work. Its an old wives tale that is wrong.
    As well as asking for my charges back, stating and proving financial hardship, even sending them a financial expenditure to show how my situation still is and informing them that being credited the money will mean I can free myself of the snowball situation I'm still in which means avoiding more changes and can therefore better the life of my children, i receive a refusal letter back stating that the charges were not unfair (despite most being charges upon charges!) and using the Supreme Court ruling as a get out of jail card.

This would indicate that they have treated your complaint as an "unfair" bank charges reclaim and not a current financial hardship complaint. Did you use terms like "unfair" or "unreasonable" in your complaint letter? (its a big no no and you shouldnt).

For the bank to refund charges they have to be persuaded that you are in current financial hardship. You have to make them aware of your arrears/defaults and how you are unable to afford things and how your situation is getting worse and not improving. Your banking has to have no spending on luxury items (as that can kill a hardship case. People with Sky TV payments for example are not in debt due to hardship but through choice).

So, are you in current financial hardship?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 September 2014 at 1:29PM
    Options
    If you do not meet the Bank's criteria of financial hardship then you will never receive any refund of charges. Mention of "unfair" charges and writing to the CEO (why?) have not in any way improved your chances of success.

There is no point claiming financial hardship simply because you are in "receipt of benefits", in order to be deemed in current financial hardship you need to be living constantly in your overdraft and struggling to pay even your essential bills. If you have a mobile phone contract, subscription TV or eat out at restaurants etc then you will not be deemed in financial hardship.

There is no "legislation" you could have quoted, the Banks won their court case a few years back.

If you do reply to your rejection, you'll need to show hard evidence of current hardship which was not in your original complaint. If you appeal without new and compelling evidence not in your original submission, you will just receive a reiteration of your rejection.

No point addressing anything to the CEO.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    KirstieLou wrote: »
    I don't mean to upset anyone who's annoyed with seeing repetitive posts about Bank Charges but I could really use some constructive advice about what to do next.

Is it worth pursuing or leaving it?

Thanks in advance all

As long as the charges have been applied in line with the terms you agreed to, then no bank is under any obligation to refund any such bank charges applied.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure