LG 42" LB5500 LED tv

Options
Hi,

I noticed that Tesco are selling the LG 42" LB5500 LED tv for £299 (I think it's less in store) http://www.tesco.com/direct/lg-42lb5500-42-inch-full-hd-1080p-led-tv-with-freeview/511-9362.prd

I currently have a 2009 40" Sony Bravia LCD TV http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/KDL-40W5810/list and am debating whether to upgrade to the LG as I sort out my tv setup at home but as I know very little about tvs I'm not sure if it would be much of an upgrade? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• I certainly would not swap a Sony bravia for an LG. The Sony will outlive the LG 3 times over.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A £299 TV is supposed to be an "upgrade" ?
  • Steve1982
    Options
    Thanks, Like I said I am no expert I just thought that LEDs were better than LCD TVs, plus the LG is a bit bigger and the Sony tv is 5 years older it might have been an upgrade.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You get what you pay for. If you buy a a £299 supermarket cheapie, it will not be in any way an "upgrade" of the TV you currently have.
  • Steve1982
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I guess it would be to good to be true and it would be too easy that way. I think I will stick with my Bravia then and save myself some money at the same time.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't know why you're upgrading, don't upgrade. That's moneysaving!
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I certainly would not swap a Sony bravia for an LG. The Sony will outlive the LG 3 times over.

Meh,

I've had 2 LG TVs (26 and 32") that have been going strong for 6 years now. My third is into it's third year or service and looking good. My two LG monitors (6 and 2 years old respectively) have never missed a beat. My parents have LG without issue. My best friend has LG without issue...Never seen an LG screen fail come to think of it...but I do know someone who's Sony was kaput after two years. (Although I also know someone who's Bravia is now 8 years old and good as new...)

Personally, I'd be wary of the model the supermarket are selling, but have no concerns about LG as a brand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure