exfoliate for pennies

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
26 replies 7K views
cathy_3cathy_3 Forumite
1.5K posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
wanted an exfoliation cream saw the price

came home and got sugar in a saucer added baby oil enought to just dampen the sugar and rubbed that on my face

exellent and left my skin soft as a babys bum

;D

Replies

• ooh, will try that, think its all the chocolate but gone all spotty.
  • sairzsairz Forumite
    484 posts
    :o whoops read the title wrong ;D :D;)
    Sairz xx
    :AEleventh Heaven No.3 :A
  • Chris25Chris25 Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too ;D
  • You can do the same thing with salt too, although it doesn't taste as nice as the sugar one!

Also, I read somewhere, (but not tried it), that you can make an exfoliant with porridge oats, by rubbing a handful over your face when its wet.

(Course, if you're doing it in the shower and are pushed for time in the morning, you could then eat the resulting porridge to save on breakfast time.. ;D)
  • nicki_2nicki_2 Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do this too but I used olive oil (I always have it in) and use it as an all over body exfoliate. Of course it does help if you have a shower to rinse in and not just a bath ::)
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • EagerLearnerEagerLearner Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Olive oil and brown sugar make a lovely, lovely exfoliator for the body, including feet. Plus if you like you can add a few drops of essential oil...
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • Not really a good idea to exfoliate the face with sugar, its too harsh. Magnified many times, sugar has lots of jagged edges that can damage the skin tissue.

A very good alternative is to grind aduki beans and add a little water to make a paste. Rub this gently all over the face. Grinding the beans to a fine powder is what is called japanese wash grains. These are really expensive. The body shop used to sell them at £5 a pot!
  • sairz wrote:
    :o whoops read the title wrong ;D :D;)

Ha ha! I just read this thread title out to my boyfriend and told him someone had read it wrong.....when I pointed it what they *thought* it said, he was like this :eek:

Ahhhh wish I'd had a camera...:rotfl:
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • grannybroongrannybroon Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I do heavy gardening I always do olive oil and sugar on hands - a tip I read years ago (I think in Doctor's surgery when waiting!). I expect same effect on face for deep clean cleansing. Maybe putting on heavy conditioner after will componsate.

GB
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support