System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use ground almonds in my cleanser.
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I make a bit of oatmeal paste (with water only) and use that. :)
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Angelina-M wrote:
    Not really a good idea to exfoliate the face with sugar, its too harsh. Magnified many times, sugar has lots of jagged edges that can damage the skin tissue.

A very good alternative is to grind aduki beans and add a little water to make a paste. Rub this gently all over the face. Grinding the beans to a fine powder is what is called japanese wash grains. These are really expensive. The body shop used to sell them at £5 a pot!

i've been doing this once a week since it was first posted, (can't believe its two years old!!) and my skin is iun the best condition its been in for years, maybe be careful if you have sensitive or broken skin, but i suffer from eczema, and it seems to stop my skin drying out,

hth

• larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Apparently bicarb is a good exfoliant too. You could mix it in with a bit of cream cleanser (face) of course!:)

Off topic a bit, but I use a paste mix of bicarb, salt and hydrogen peroxide every few days to brush my teeth. Gives them a nice deep cleanse. Followed by toothpaste to take the foul taste away. I read this in a book somewhere.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    I had to laugh...I thought you put Exfoliate for Penis:rotfl: :eek: :p:o:D;)

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • raven_3
    raven_3 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't use baby oil either - it's scented mineral oil and will bring a lot of people out in spots or rashes or similar. Olive, sweet almond or any other vegetable carrier oil would be better!
  • Kaminari_2
    Options
    Whoa! I'm glad i'm not the only one!
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    You can use ground up soluble aspirin as an exfoliant too. One of the small soluble dispirin tablets, dissolved in a small amount of water and rubbed on the face makes a great exfoliant - it's the salicylic acid; great for spots and acne!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • caelestis
    Options
    BODY EXFOLIANT RECIPE
    After lots of money wasted on expensive body exfoliant products I decided to make my own. The simplest and cheapest recipe Ive found that leaves my skin really smooth is:

1/2 cup of Brown or White granulated sugar
    1/4 cup of Table salt
    Couple of large squirts of Shower gel just enough to make a paste but not too much! (Mint/tea tree Source works well!)

I dont bother measuring it and you get an idea of how much youll need when youve used it a few times... Another tip.... Shave legs after exfoliating otherwise the salt stings like hell and best to apply it in shower with wet skin but with out the shower running. Massage it in then wash off.
    IF ANY ONE TRYS THIS PLEASE ME LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK... My mates think Im mad lol!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've moved this thread over to the Health and Beauty board where it may get more replies.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport