Sainsbury's credit card account - can't log in. Unbelievable response from them!

Options
P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } We went to our Sainsbury's credit card account this morning and could not log in. Definitely using the correct login details, so we rang their help line.
Very polite and attentive rep attempted to help - unsuccessfully. He was unable to even reset our password.
He then asked if we had access to a computer with Windows? No, we use all Apple products. His explanation then went along the lines of: Sainsbury's banking technology had been developed on an old Microsoft Windows system and there was a problem in resetting passwords for customers who use Apple computing products (he is speaking politely and appears sincere - I can't bring myself to tell him what I think of this explanation). He also indicates that he's not particularly hot on technology(In the technical help section!!!!)
He explains that it may be something to do with my Apple Keychain. I reply that (a) I never't use Apple Keychain for automating access to any financial services and (b) I would not be prepared to give third party access to my Keychain details anyway!
Rep puts me on hold to seek advice from a colleague. Returns, apologetically, and says the only thing he can suggest is that the problem appears to lie with the Apple system and that I need to contact Apple about it !!!!!!!!
With as much restraint as I can muster, I explain that I appreciate his patience and courtesy but, even so, if Sainsbury's Bank cannot reset my bank account password because of a problem with Apple technology - then that is a Sainsbury's Bank problem to resolve, not for me as a Sainsbury's Bank customer. Rep promises to go to his manager and look into it further and get back to us within an agreed timeframe.
Within the agreed time, he calls back and explains that there appears to be nothing that Sainsbury' Bank can do to help us get back into internet credit card banking! There is no offer of any alternative solution at all.
I remained polite at at all times - but my view of this is not fit to be printed. I don't believe that every single Sainsbury's Bank customer who exclusively uses iPads and MacBooks suffers the same problems and gets treated the same way.
Yes, we have other credit cards (and we are retired and cautious with our accounts). It would be simple to just accept it and go away - but I feel we are being treated as idiots. We have had this card for more than a year.

We would appreciate any thoughts or advice from the forum.

Comments

• Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }
    Is it possible that your device is generating spurious characters? That could certainly confuse the Sainsbury's Bank website.

Are you using the Safari Browser or an App?
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • tanyo78
    Options
    The spurious characters came up within in this thread when I was looking at the draft of my post.
    We use Safari on an iPad to access our accounts. Never had a problem like this before - and I just can't believe a bank would say, "Sorry - nothing we can do about it!"
  • Superheavy
    Options
    tanyo78 wrote: »
    The spurious characters came up within in this thread when I was looking at the draft of my post.
    We use Safari on an iPad to access our accounts. Never had a problem like this before - and I just can't believe a bank would say, "Sorry - nothing we can do about it!"

Do you have a desktop or a laptop Apple instead of just the iPad? I know that my bank's internet banking doesn't work particularly well through the version of Safari installed on iPads, but it works fine on the laptop and desktop computer. I'd guess at something to do with encryption or the security checks when you get to the https sections, but I'm not exactly sure of the technicalities. Their workaround is to have an app that works with iPad software...do Sainsbury's have an app?
    DFW - DEBT FREEEEEE!

Total - 10762/10762 :)

Every silver lining has its cloud.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    they develop things for windows machines mostly, after all sh-ipads dont do flash etc
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • chattychappy
    Options
    He then asked if we had access to a computer with Windows? No, we use all Apple products.
    We would appreciate any thoughts or advice from the forum.

Suggest you don't "use all Apple products"!

It would be better if Sainsbury were clearer about what is and what is not properly supported (if indeed that is where the problem lies).
  • ...It would be better if Sainsbury were clearer about what is and what is not properly supported (if indeed that is where the problem lies).

They do ;)

According to their website, they recommend:
    Operating System
    Microsoft® Windows® VISTA
    or Windows® 7/8

Browser
    Internet Explorer v7 or higher*
    Firefox v3.6 or higher**
    Chrome v11 or higher***
    Safari v4 or higher

or

Operating System
    Apple Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Browser
    Internet Explorer v8 or higher*
    Firefox v3.6 or higher**
    Chrome v11 or higher***
    Safari v4 or higher

They go onto say:
    If your computer doesn't match the suggested combinations, you may still be able to use our secure online service, but some of the features may not work as expected.

Mobiles and tablets

You can use a mobile or tablet device to access Online Banking but we can’t guarantee that your experience will be the same as on a PC or Mac.

http://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/onlinesupport/support-online-accessibility.shtml#accordion-item-1-2

But perhaps one cannot see this page if they use an iPad? :huh:
  • tanyo78
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful responses offered - especially Starline. We've tried a couple of the suggestions but not resolved the issue.
    A few things come to mind:
    1. I'm an old codger and not terribly good managing techy stuff when it gets complicated (even clearing cookies leaves me bamboozled!:o). Which is why I have a preference for using Apple stuff, by and large.
    2. Whether I have all Apple products or not, they are used by a massive number of people - I'm sure quite a few of them are Sainsburys bank customers. Doesn't that send a message to Sainsburys? And tablets seem to be the way many people are going with their day to day computing.
    3. We have another major high street shop credit card and we have no problems checking that account via any of our platforms (we got the Sainsburys one mainly for Nectar points value).
    4. I think the solution is now pretty clear. The next monthly payment will be the last for that card and we will close the account.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    Thanks for the update tanyo78; a lot of people wouldn't have bothered. Sorry you couldn't get a satisfactory outcome.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful responses offered - especially Starline. We've tried a couple of the suggestions but not resolved the issue.
    A few things come to mind:
    1. I'm an old codger and not terribly good managing techy stuff when it gets complicated (even clearing cookies leaves me bamboozled!:o). Which is why I have a preference for using Apple stuff, by and large.
    2. Whether I have all Apple products or not, they are used by a massive number of people - I'm sure quite a few of them are Sainsburys bank customers. Doesn't that send a message to Sainsburys? And tablets seem to be the way many people are going with their day to day computing.
    3. We have another major high street shop credit card and we have no problems checking that account via any of our platforms (we got the Sainsburys one mainly for Nectar points value).
    4. I think the solution is now pretty clear. The next monthly payment will be the last for that card and we will close the account.

It would seem a shame to lose the nectar points purely for this issue.

I would suggest you try and login using the details on another machine (Mac or PC), if they work then you know it's the tablet that is at fault. Try another browser on the tablet. If there is no joy then unfortunately it's the tablet that is the issue so it may have to be moving to another card as you wish to continue using the tablet.

That said, the vast vast majority of computer users are on windows based PCs so that is what they design their systems for. I think companies do need to recognise the massive explosion in tablet use though and make sure their systems work on it (or develop apps). 45.01% of web browsing users are on Android and 44.34% on iOS - windows, blackberry, kindle etc are a tiny % so your IT system should work for the majority of users
  • OhReally_2
    Options
    ...4. I think the solution is now pretty clear. The next monthly payment will be the last for that card and we will close the account.

Say a final farewell to your nose before cutting it off, won't you :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport