IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Photographing a traffic warden

Options
I was issued a ticket for a reason I could not understand, as the warden had just finished issuing I asked him starting with excuse me and he just ignored me.

after asking him several times with same lack of response, I got my phone out and was going to record my attempt to ask again, where I was told that it was illegal to photograph a traffic officer.

I couldn't actually work out how to make my phone video mode instead of camera, so no photography or videoing took place but I was wondering what the legal position on is.

thanks

Comments

• bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's perfectly legal to photograph anyone in a public place.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Ailega
    Ailega Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    It's perfectly legal to photograph anyone in a public place.

Thanks for your reply bazster. Is videoing the same? because I wanted to show that I was being ignored when asking in a civil way.
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options
    It's legal to take photos of virtually anything or anyone except where there are children involved or the person requests you do not take their photo.

In this case if an officer of the council or police tells you not to take their photo and you do so, it's classed as harrassment and the police can be called in to deal with you.

I used to be a CEO / TW and have faced this situation many times. What I would say is that perhaps you should post the details of your ticket here and we will try to help.
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 September 2014 at 3:40PM
    Options
    It's legal to take photos of virtually anything or anyone except where there are children involved or the person requests you do not take their photo.

In this case if an officer of the council or police tells you not to take their photo and you do so, it's classed as harrassment and the police can be called in to deal with you.

Absolute nonsense.

It is legal to photograph anyone in a public place: police officers, CEO's, council officers, children, you, me, anyone.

Your actions would need to be persistent and/or aggressive to constitute harassment. Just taking a photo of someone, regardless of whether they asked you not to, is not harassment!

Here's what the Met came up with when finally forced to admit that they did NOT have a blanket right to stop photographers snapping them in the street: http://content.met.police.uk/Site/photographyadvice

"Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel."

Stills or video, it's all OK.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options
    Different police forces interpret things differently and i've been out of the parking enforcement game for 4-5 years so things may have changed since then.

Either way using the term absolute nonsense is designed to wind someone up and cause trouble.
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 September 2014 at 3:55PM
    Options
    Different police forces interpret things differently

The law is what it is. The Met were forced to come up with that guidance after they were shown to be have been interpreting the law WRONGLY - and as far as I'm aware the law in London is no different to the law in the rest of England and Wales.
    Either way using the term absolute nonsense is designed to wind someone up and cause trouble.

It's designed to describe absolute nonsense.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Different police forces interpret things differently and i've been out of the parking enforcement game for 4-5 years so things may have changed since then.

ACPO also issued very similar guidance that applied to all forces in England and Wales - nothing has changed since. So long as it is not active obstruction/harrssment - its fine to photograh anyone in a public place.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    As a Swansea Council CEO has discovered when someone filmed him refusing to ticket his boss's vehicle that was parked I think obstructing on double yellow lines. He also said the same thing you said Tricky , it hasn't stopped the local press though has it ?

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/VIDEO-s-boss-s-car-Swansea-traffic-warden-refused/story-21133464-detail/story.html

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Council-won-t-reveal-warden-row-results/story-22711293-detail/story.html
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if councils peddle this nonsense to their CEO's.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • blobbydoodaah
    Options
    never ever let anyone tell you that you can't photograph or video in a public place

They all do it to us!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport