Is My PAYG Data Cost Calculation Correct

Options
guyrws
guyrws Posts: 11 Forumite
edited 3 September 2014 at 6:44AM in Mobiles
Hello,

I'm on Orange Dolphin PAYG tariff, using an iPhone4s, forgot to top up and only noticed after my cash credit ran out.

What I don't understand is how I can spend £40 in 5 days especially when I was connected to wifi for most of the time. Customer services are trying to tell me that, because my "Cellular Data" was switched on my data would be used even though I was connected to wifi. That seems crazy to me but there you go.

I have worked out that to have spent £40 on data at 65p/MB I would have to have consumed 61GB of data. Are my figures correct there please?

I have asked for a detailed statement of usage, which will take 7 days and in hard copy??!!

Cheers for any help, Guy.

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know anything about payg, but 65 p per megabyte means 1GB would cost you £650.
  • pepdavies
    Options
    Great value. I would find a new network if I were you.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,656 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    65p per MB (which is the "dolphin" rate) does only mean you have been charged for about 61MB of data, which is not a lot and could easily have been used when you were not connected to Wifi. It could have been the iPhone automatically updating itself, which they are renown for.
    IME EE customer services are close to useless. As above, find another provider.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PAYG data is always expensive.....im with Virgin its £1 MIN, even to look up 1 thing, that only lasts 1 day, so you have to use up your £s worth or lose it.
    Good job I never use it.
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    PAYG data is always expensive.....im with Virgin its £1 MIN, even to look up 1 thing, that only lasts 1 day, so you have to use up your £s worth or lose it.
    Good job I never use it.
    Using 3 data on 321 is only 1p per MB so I don't think that's expensive
    It's not just about the money
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Good job I never use it.
    Silk wrote: »
    Using 3 data on 321 is only 1p per MB so I don't think that's expensive

PAYG data clocked up per MB is usually expensive (apart from 3, as Silk says above) - but if you don't have to pay per MB, even on PAYG, if you buy a package.

Most data packs only last for a month, but T-mobile do a 6 month data pack for £20. We have been using that for years on one of our PAYG phones. No worries about unexpected costs with that at all.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,656 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have mobile data disabled on my PAYG smartphone and only use it for data when free WiFi is available. Then again, I don't feel the need to share all of my life's moments on the likes of Fartbook either. :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure