Garage say MOT is a FAKE!! UPDATE!!!!

Options
SnowWhiterThanWhite
SnowWhiterThanWhite Posts: 772 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 11 September 2014 at 1:21PM in Motoring
UPDATE
Finally had the damage to car repaired through local garage of my choice. They have checked the exhaust and have confirmed, as others have mentioned, that the Cat is present, within the manifold. They even ran it through the MOT emmissions test and all good. Am going to be sending a very strongly worded letter to ATS head office! And, will never, ever consider going to them in future.
The garage also said that the exhaust fitted makes no difference to the performance and have given a letter to this efect to me so that I can let the insurance company know.
Panic over...:j

My DS is a new driver, Corsa SXi 2006
Bought the car with new MOT in June
Someone backed into son whilst he was stationary in a car park and left a dent, the other driver has accepted full responsibility.
The problem is, he has taken his car to be assessed at the garage his insurance has directed him to who have told him that he must sort out his exhaust before he gets any work done otherwise they will report him to the insurance co for modding is car!

The exhaust, which we thought was standard with a push on trim, apparently isn't.
So, he was advised to take the car to ATS, who have said that the exhaust is completely illegal, there is no Catalytic converter and therefore the MOT must be fake! They are quoting him £570 to replace?
Should I go back to the garage that did the MOT and query this? Should I contact a MOT inspector?
Can't believe that this little 'bump' is going to end up costing £££ for something that wasn't even DS fault!
Can anyone advise?
"Hope for the Best
Prepare for the worst"

Comments

• BettiePage
    BettiePage Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Options
    Surely if the MOT was fake he wouldn't have been able to insure the car?
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    Options

The exhaust, which we thought was standard with a push on trim, apparently isn't.
    So, he was advised to take the car to ATS, who have said that the exhaust is completely illegal, there is no Catalytic converter and therefore the MOT must be fake!

I used to have an illegal exhaust on my motorbike, I simply swapped it back to the original for the MOT. Therefore the MOT wasn't fake.

The MOT is simply an assessment at the time of inspection.

• Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to have an illegal exhaust on my motorbike, I simply swapped it back to the original for the MOT. Therefore the MOT wasn't fake.

Exactly this - lots of people swap straight through exhausts with a standard one just to get it through the MOT and then swap back. Doesnt mean the MOT is fake, just means that the car passed the MOT on the day it was tested.
  • SnowWhiterThanWhite
    Options
    We picked the car up the same day the MOT was done, NO changes have been made to the exhaust whatsoever
    "Hope for the Best
    Prepare for the worst"
  • StrongWork
    StrongWork Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Odd story.

Regardless, you can use this .gov website to check the (genuine) MoT status of your car: http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECSID-Internet-Status-Request.jsp

HTH :)
  • SnowWhiterThanWhite
    Options
    StrongWork wrote: »
    Odd story.

Regardless, you can use this .gov website to check the (genuine) MoT status of your car: http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECSID-Internet-Status-Request.jsp

HTH :)
    Hi, the garage who had done the last 2 MOT's is local to me and as far as I know, well respected.

I have all previous MOT's together with the emissions test results. I think ATS are trying to say that the garage passed the MOT when they shouldn't have? Surely, no garage would take this risk??
    "Hope for the Best
    Prepare for the worst"
  • societys_child
    Options
    there is no Catalytic converter
    Doesn't mean the MOT is fake.
  • SnowWhiterThanWhite
    Options
    Doesn't mean the MOT is fake.
    So, a car can pass an MOT without a cat converter?
    "Hope for the Best
    Prepare for the worst"
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    Options

This. The new exhaust place is trying to scare you into getting the work done with them straight away. Go find a decent local indie to do the work done maybe even a trip to a breakers yard for a 2nd hand cat..
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    Options
    So, a car can pass an MOT without a cat converter?

A lots of moderns will run clean enough without the cat to pass an emmisions test. So it could be the original garage did the test it passed and they didn't notice the missing cat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure