How exactly is a new line connected/rejoined in a house with no socket?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
20 replies 3.3K views
seriouslyseriously Forumite
17 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
My Gran's place is being refurbished and mostly done. When I spoke to the builders they didn't see/notice a phone line and as such there isn't a socket in sight on any of the walls (which are pristine clean and smooth)...

I've got a BT engineer coming over to install fibre (yes!) but I'm worried will they have to drill a hole or something into the wall to install a socket?

How exactly will they get the line into the house?

Replies

• QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are correct. They will drill a small hole.
  • Roland_SausageRoland_Sausage Forumite
    701 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Chances are that they will drill a hole and then fit the socket over the top of the hole so it can't be seen.
  • BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not only that - they won't install fibre either. Just copper, like everyone else.
  • cajefcajef Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buzby wrote: »
    Not only that - they won't install fibre either. Just copper, like everyone else.

How do you know?

It may be that they are getting FTTP, which you appear to think does not exist.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke. :|
  • edited 30 August 2014 at 2:02PM
    JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 August 2014 at 2:02PM
    OP{ said refurb so its not a new property so unlikely to have FTTP installed .

Could be a BT FTTRN trial area of course .
  • cajefcajef Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    OP{ said refurb so its not a new property so unlikely to have FTTP installed .

Possibly but for some reason despite being told otherwise in the past Buzby keeps posting that people can only get FTTC and that FTTP does not exist despite being told that some people can get fibre direct to their property, his posts are not only unhelpful but incorrect.

I have FTTP and in fact it is the only way I can have fibre as it has been installed throughout the area where I live, and my property is over twenty years old, not a new build.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke. :|
  • seriouslyseriously Forumite
    17 Posts
    Oh I see..

So they will somehow get a line into the house (underneath the door or something? How durable will it be? Won't it get damaged/soaked outside in bad weather?) and then just put up a socket. Why would there need to be a hole then (if there's nothing going through the walls etc)?

What's the difference between copper and fibre? Should I check/be aware in case I'm not getting the full service?

So many questions lol. Thanks for any advice!
  • edited 30 August 2014 at 6:18PM
    QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 August 2014 at 6:18PM
    They will install it in such a way that your worries are unfounded.

See if you are getting FTTP (premises) or FTTC (which is the near street cabinet) and take it from there.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    seriously wrote: »
    Oh I see..

So they will somehow get a line into the house (underneath the door or something? How durable will it be? Won't it get damaged/soaked outside in bad weather?) and then just put up a socket. Why would there need to be a hole then (if there's nothing going through the walls etc)?

What's the difference between copper and fibre? Should I check/be aware in case I'm not getting the full service?

So many questions lol. Thanks for any advice!

Line usually from pole to roof then drops to point of ingress . Thats often the front door where a small hole is drilled in the frame . Cable goes through and a master socket is fitted .Durable 40 50 years for many such installations in the past .Cable is relatively weatherproof .You are almost certain to get copper as relatively few are fibre to the house .Fibre service from the ISP is fibre to the local street cabinet mostly .
  • seriouslyseriously Forumite
    17 Posts
    Quentin wrote: »
    See if you are getting FTTP (premises) or FTTC (which is the near street cabinet) and take it from there.

Cheers! I'll keep you guys updated. Should be getting it done on Tuesday.

JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Line usually from pole to roof then drops to point of ingress . Thats often the front door where a small hole is drilled in the frame . Cable goes through and a master socket is fitted .Durable 40 50 years for many such installations in the past .Cable is relatively weatherproof .You are almost certain to get copper as relatively few are fibre to the house .Fibre service from the ISP is fibre to the local street cabinet mostly .

Oh I see..is there an actual difference between copper and fibre though? We've been quoted a 60-79mb download speed, so as long as we get that, we should be fine right?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides