IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

What coolant? steering?-petrol ford focus 1999

edited 29 August 2014 at 7:20PM in Motoring
24 replies 2.2K views
ampersandampersand Forumite
9.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 29 August 2014 at 7:20PM in Motoring
Many sorts of 'gone wrong' have done so this week-and ongoing just now.
C'est la vie:)

Suddenly, it's car, an hour ago - mature model, as befits driver:p.

Steering was heavy, stiff as I pulled out. This increased with 2 turns right leaving rural village.

Power loss apparent, not sluggish, simply rather slow and oomphless. Turned back asap, by which time ignition warning light was full on, temp gauge in red zone:eek: and in quick succession, amber engine warning light and multi-function warning light. All stayed on.

Stopped in field corner and read owner's guide and Haynes.

From that to Fail Safe Cooling System - p. 126 of owner's guide exactly describes what's happening, so tmrw must buy/apply transmission liquid and coolant.

To clarify, please:
1. Is my car Manual Transmission type A[use oil SAE75W90 or equiv.WSD-M2C 200-C] or B[Ford Transmission Oil or equiv.ESD-M2C- 186A] ? for purposes of id'ing/buying correct liquid.

2. Coolant has to be colour-identical, but I don't know what this is.
Have looked on Ford website, but the earliest ref. there is year 2000, yellowish-green coolant. Will this be alright?

I never buy specific Ford bits for basic maintenance; may I safely use alternatives this time or are prices much of a muchness?

I'll use village bus tomorrow to buy whatever's necessary. Daren't drive car any more atm.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

Replies

• facadefacade Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    First have a look at the fan belt to see

1) if it is still there
    2) if it is going round with the engine,

Sounds like the belt has broken or something is seized, alternator or water pump.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Sorry.

But your post doesn't real make any sense.

If you have a Haynes manual you will have all the info you need to top up fluids.

I suggest you get it towed to a garage.
  • ampersandampersand Forumite
    9.3K Posts
    Forumite
    bigjl wrote: »
    Sorry.

But your post doesn't real make any sense.

If you have a Haynes manual you will have all the info you need to top up fluids.

I suggest you get it towed to a garage.
    #
    And there was I thinking I'd written carefully, noting everything that might be needed.

bigjl - I won't be getting it towed anywhere. Rural here. I drove it back.
    The Haynes Manual is NOT model/year specific. That's why I asked.
    The owner's guide is better, but still leaves 2 points to clarify.

facade -thankyou. I'll check that out in the morning - too dark now.
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• arcon5arcon5 Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Post seems confusing to me.
    you saying the car overheated? It so it could be many things. This would usually send it in to limp mode.

if you lost PS then ccheck aux belt. Wouldn't really affect cooling system though.
  • ampersandampersand Forumite
    9.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks arcon - I don't see how it could overheat within 50m of starting. Stiff steering was immediate. That's what directed my trouble-shooting reading. I genuinely thought I'd written everything fully.
    Ah well, I'm not bloke-ish, or bloke.
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

• moleratmolerat Forumite
    28K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Post seems confusing to me.
    you saying the car overheated? It so it could be many things. This would usually send it in to limp mode.

if you lost PS then ccheck aux belt. Wouldn't really affect cooling system though.
    Water pump not going round would affect the cooling ;) - water pump is on aux belt on the majority of focus models.
  • BollotomBollotom Forumite
    957 Posts
    500 Posts
    If you have Orange anti freeze, don't dilute it and don't mix it with the Blue. You could add plain water for a short while but then will have to drain and fill with your normal Blue stuff. From Fords 10 year life, called OAT, allegedly, well it is Ford, but that's if diluted with de-ionised water. Tap water will do it but then the life is halved and you can sometimes get it from Halfords, again lower shelf life. As far as the transmission oil you may be better off getting it done unless you know how.
    Just in case. When all these things happened at once, you hadn't simply stalled the engine? Don't mean to be insulting but sometimes........ :cool:
  • edited 29 August 2014 at 11:09PM
    ampersandampersand Forumite
    9.3K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 29 August 2014 at 11:09PM
    'you hadn't simply stalled the engine? Don't mean to be insulting but sometimes........ :cool:'
    #
    Tsk tsk bollotom - you baited, I bit.

I realised you were speaking from personal experience so I let you get away with it:D

No, is the answer to your ? I was heading to town w8r0s, but didn't dare risk it within a mile.

We get licences at 15 on my side of the world - AB country.

Just came across this:
    http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=816

I was alert to this biz of colours from the Ford site, hence my post.
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

• BollotomBollotom Forumite
    957 Posts
    500 Posts
    Aye, you caught me out, though I have stalled the engine many times. I believe Ford ask for that certain colour as some others can affrect gaskets and seals and other engine components. I topped mine up using tap water but it was only about a pint or so. Couple of weeks back I had some lights on and into limp mode. It was the turbo intercooler pipe with the split that Ford knopw about but won't do a recall. Cost £160 to fix, but I went with a local garage. Main dealers are now too expensive. Anyway, the car was picked up and is as good as new. May be worth having someone look for a vacuum leak. Also I'm putting a link below. Eric the car guy. Lots of good info and he's such a personable chap I watched him changing an engine. Obviously hours but the videos are so good and Eric such a nice bloke. Hope you get yours sorted :cool:

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/
  • edited 30 August 2014 at 6:56PM
    arcon5arcon5 Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August 2014 at 6:56PM
    molerat wrote: »
    Water pump not going round would affect the cooling ;) - water pump is on aux belt on the majority of focus models.

Hmm, not so sure about that. I've had two models of Focus (petrol) in the past which runs of timing belt. Very rare to run of auxiliary belt - except on certain Mondeos where is runs on a separate auxiliary belt on the n/s
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals