Moving home - Tesco Broadband

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
4 replies 734 views
pearlchavezpearlchavez Forumite
5 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi there. I moved home on the 8th of august and on the same day we had an engineer come out to set up broadband. There was a fault with the telephone line and three weeks later we still don't have internet. A week ago an engineer came to our home and examined the fault, telling us that the broadband was good to go before he left. I phoned tesco, who told me that within 24hours, the engineer's notes would be on system, but this turned into 72 hours. We were then told that the order simply had to be processed and that this would take 24 hours. That was on Tuesday, it is now Friday and we have had another engineer out to examine the fault we thought was fixed. He has informed us that there is a fault with the broadband. Tesco phoned to say they would be in touch within 48 hours.

Sorry for the long post there, but I wanted to explain everything. I am extremely frustrated, but my partner tells me that this is to be expected when you move. However, I was just looking for some advice, as I'm ready to cancel services with tesco and look elsewhere.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cancel and you will end up with the same fault and the same engineers with your next choice .
    Fault broadband or the line or at the exchange .
  • edited 29 August 2014 at 5:09PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 August 2014 at 5:09PM
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Cancel and you will end up with the same fault and the same engineers with your next choice .
    Fault broadband or the line or at the exchange .

This isn't necessarily true, Tesco use C&W LLU/MPF in places where they have thier own network, so if this is a provisioning problem or faulty ties into the C&W network, changing provider may well give a service
    the OP states an engineer came out to set up the broadband ?..who's engineer ?, Openreach or a contractor for OR ?, if it's them, they didn't come out to set up the broadband, they came out to install a connection back to the exchange, where the line could be connected into BT or some other company's network.
    Do you have dialtone, but no broadband, or nothing at all ?, Openreach only have to get the line working for telephony, if you do call Tesco and ask them if you are on a MPF line or a WLR3 ( that's where BT provide as a minimum, the telephony part of the service )
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry forgot Tesco had some C&W .
  • The first engineer we had out was from tesco, but he said we needed a BT engineer, so he came out last Friday and told us everything was fine after working on the problem. After that, tesco said it was simply a matter of processing the order - 3 days later, but then apparently the fault wasn't away, so a BT engineer came back today and now he's told us that there's a problem with the broadband and we need to phone tesco, and they've said they'll call us in 48 hours after reading the engineer's notes. I just feel like I've been misinformed and am wondering how long this will take to fix and if it's worth seeing if I should switch companies.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals