Charge for moving home ?

Having previously been with Talktalk for phone and bbroadband, I moved to NewCall (primus) two months ago after being persuaded by a pleasant chap at my door promising me a much better deal, (as they do).
I am now moving home (a minutes walk away) and have been told that I will have to start new 18 month contract with a monthly increase of £2. I can deal with that but I'm not happy that they are now saying that £59 will be added to my next bill due to the move. An engineer is not needed (new home currently with TalkTalk) but this is a connection fee apparently. I wasn't charged this when Iconnected with them here so why now? Bad enough iI'm going to have no phone or broadband for the first eight days in my new home as they can' take over line until then....

Comments

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    I don't doubt that the charge is in their T&C. If something is cheap they'll need to charge for every little extra and they will probably get charged by Openreach for the connection even if nothing does need to be done. The last lot will proably get a disconnect charge too. Ah the beauty of having a monopoly.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You are not being charged for 'moving home'. You are being charged because the line has to be provisioned or reconnected at the new address. BT will charge you up to £130 for this work; other suppliers discount it, some down to zero, depending on the value of your contract.
    A new minimum term contract is standard for any home move.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    The charge will be for the engineer to do the necessary changes at the exchange.

The engineers that normally do the work are Openreach. They will probably charge Talk Talk £130ish for doing the transfer, but Talk Talk are only passing some of this charge onto you.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Don't think they will charge Talktalk as the OP is with NewCall.:D
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    My bad. OP's ISP will be charged
    All your base are belong to us.
  • macman wrote: »
    A new minimum term contract is standard for any home move.

Is this true?

When I renewed my 18 month Newcall contract in February, I knew I would be moving shortly and specifically asked whether there would be any onerous terms imposed. I said I would be moving in April (ultimately it's taken longer and we are now moving this week). For them not to inform me that a new contract would be required at the point of move strikes me as disception by omission.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 September 2014 at 5:15PM
    It's up to you to ask the terms before you agree a new contract. I'm not familiar with Newcall's terms, so you'll need to check with them.
    Certainly most mainstream ISP's have such a clause, for obvious reasons-why would they allow you a move at their expense, only for you to immediately leave?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Option with Plusnet is either pay £65 for the home move with no contract or agree to a new contract and get free transfer but only one free transfer allowed per contract period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure