Broadband Early Termination Fee-Does It Affect Our Consumer Rights

Options
For example if someone signed up with TT and found the broadband was rubbish, kept dropping,going down for days and obviously changed their mind and had to terminate - this is a consumer quality product issue surely - so they should be able to get refund/terminate like any other product?

Just wondered who is the 'watchdog' for these things? Is there an ombudsman or regulator in case we get charged 100 pounds to terminate. What happened to things like the 'cooling off period?'

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    For example if someone signed up with TT and found the broadband was rubbish, kept dropping,going down for days and obviously changed their mind and had to terminate - this is a consumer quality product issue surely - so they should be able to get refund/terminate like any other product?

Just wondered who is the 'watchdog' for these things? Is there an ombudsman or regulator in case we get charged 100 pounds to terminate. What happened to things like the 'cooling off period?'

It's just like any other contract. If you break it, there are fees to pay if you just change your mind.

Quality wise, it depends what you mean by 'rubbish'? Do you mean just not up to your standards, or were you referring to the fact it keeps dropping out? You would need to give the supplier a chance to resolve the problem before you have a chance to terminate.

Any cooling off period would be specified when you took out the contract.
  • talktalktobt
    Options
    You can break the contract with no charge IF you are not supplied with estimated speed upon signing up.

I think that the issue here is that people don't understand what mbps is and what it equates to.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can break the contract with no charge IF you are not supplied with estimated speed upon signing up..
    It is only estimated and the service you buy is an UP TO a specific speed. The estimate does not take into account the quality of the line but only the length so can not be a contractual amount
  • WhatRecovery
    Options
    MMMnnn sounds like a handy loophole for them to me. We ve been quoted it 18 at the moment but could go up to 19 or as low as 13!!

Cover all? I might stay where I am! When I say 'rubbish' I mean unreliable. Not unreasonable I think?
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Unreliable broadband these days is almost always down to line problems or the customers own wiring/equipment. If there is anything else it normally gets fixed within a reasonable timescale for a consumer product. If the fault turns out to be the phone line itself you'll find that the contract for that service offers remarkably little in the way of guarantees for broadband delivery.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The cooling-off period starts at sign up, and ends either at or before the actual service provision-after which the provider has already incurred all the set up costs.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport