House moving with Virgin (or not)

Options
Phoned yesterday to tell them I was moving house and when they checked the new postcode found out this was not cabled so could not transfer.

They then told me as I was terminating my contract I would be liable for a rather large cancellation fee.

How can this be right if they can't provide the service at the other end ?

Whats the best way to complain about this ?

Comments

• visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stanster wrote: »
    Phoned yesterday to tell them I was moving house and when they checked the new postcode found out this was not cabled so could not transfer.

They then told me as I was terminating my contract I would be liable for a rather large cancellation fee.

How can this be right if they can't provide the service at the other end ?

Whats the best way to complain about this ?

Of course its right - you have a contract at the address you live in today. You are making the choice to move from your address, where you choose to move to is up to you, Virgin have no services where you are moving which means they would never try to sign you up.

You can't complain, you signed a contract at your address for a minimum term which you now want to break, therefore are liable for the termination of contract fee.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    See dozens of other threads asking the same question-the answer does not change.
    VM do not guarantee universal coverage, and your contract is for the existing address only. If you move to a cabled area, you recommence a new minimum term contract at that address.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport