🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Skype on 3 discontinued from 30th Sept

Options
Three have provided a free Skype service for several years on their legacy "Skypephones", such as the S2 model. They were offered with Skype "free forever", however Skype are ceasing the service with effect from 30th September.

Microsoft/Skype have been forcing users of older versions of Skype off the service until they install later versions, if I put my cynical hat on, it's so the NSA and GCHQ can eavesdrop on Skype calls more easily.

See: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10976/is-skype-on-3-being-discontinued-in-the-uk-and-ireland

On my iPhone 5, incoming Skype calls don't reliably ring, so it's probably time to switch to ditch Skype and move to something else...

Comments

• maciej
    maciej Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I still have the original docs and boxes where they claim 'free Skype FOREVER'.

Wonder how legally binding that is..

Pity, it was one of the greatest features having free Skype anywhere in the UK on your mobile for free.
  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could use that against them to leave without penalty, that's it I expect.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maciej wrote: »
    I still have the original docs and boxes where they claim 'free Skype FOREVER'.

Wonder how legally binding that is..

Pity, it was one of the greatest features having free Skype anywhere in the UK on your mobile for free.

You can still have free Skype on your mobile, just not that version.

Blame Skype for terminating all the old versions, it's not Three's fault in this case.
    ====
  • johnk
    johnk Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    You can still have free Skype on your mobile, just not that version.

How does it work? The idea of SkypeOn3 is that you do not get charged for data used by Skype. Can this still be achieved?
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    johnk wrote: »
    How does it work? The idea of SkypeOn3 is that you do not get charged for data used by Skype. Can this still be achieved?

Skype is still free, data would be free on wifi or come out of any data allowance and only chargeable if you are PAYG without any data allowance.
    ====
  • Harald
    Harald Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not really..
    Skype on 3 used data only to establish the call, call itself was using normal phone number and GSM call. Hence good quality even with poor network coverage.
    Now using generic Skype client you need good coverage to provide decent data speed. Not a big difference for users in HSPA/4G area with AYCE contract, but on PAYG ("Free skype forever even when your account is empty") will make big difference.

But, on other hand - this is part of very unpleasant approach from Microsoft and Three is not to blame.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    Harald wrote: »
    But, on other hand - this is part of very unpleasant approach from Microsoft and Three is not to blame.

The blame lies in threes marketing advertising it as free for ever.

If they believed Skype would never see any changes they were a little naïve in their marketing.
  • maciej
    Options
    Exactly my thoughts at the time: 'naive marketing'.

I might even give them a call and see how they handle it out of pure curiosity..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport