Refund only in vouchers

Options
Hi All,

I could do with a view from some informed minds.

Recently I was given a £30 gift voucher for JoJo Baby Maman (I'm 6 months pregnant). I went on their site and ordered about £100 of goods.
On receiving these a few bits were unsuitable, so I ended up returning about £35 worth, but therefore keeping £65.
Hence my expectations was that the gift voucher would be honoured against the goods I was keeping and that I would get a cash refund.... but no.

Instead JoJo sent me a £30 gift voucher and only refunded the couple of pounds difference. This voucher was just received in the post with no explanation as to why, so I had to write to them to ensure it was not a mistake.

After a few emails back and forward the answer I've been given was ' as the gift voucher is the first payment option when placing your order our system will automatically refund to the first payment option initially. Any remaining refund would then go to the second option.'

Am I the only one who just thinks this feels wrong?
Is this a valid policy given consumer rights for distance selling?

Your views/ evidence / experience of this welcomed...

Pevs

Comments

• Pevs
    Pevs Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    oh, and should also mention.... the policy above is not set out in either JoJo's general T&C's, Return T&C's or Gift Voucher T&Cs that I can find on their site.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 August 2014 at 9:53PM
    Options
    Pevs wrote: »
    Hi All,

I could do with a view from some informed minds.

Recently I was given a £30 gift voucher for JoJo Baby Maman (I'm 6 months pregnant). I went on their site and ordered about £100 of goods.
    On receiving these a few bits were unsuitable, so I ended up returning about £35 worth, but therefore keeping £65.
    Hence my expectations was that the gift voucher would be honoured against the goods I was keeping and that I would get a cash refund.... but no.

Instead JoJo sent me a £30 gift voucher and only refunded the couple of pounds difference. This voucher was just received in the post with no explanation as to why, so I had to write to them to ensure it was not a mistake.

After a few emails back and forward the answer I've been given was ' as the gift voucher is the first payment option when placing your order our system will automatically refund to the first payment option initially. Any remaining refund would then go to the second option.'

Is this a valid policy given consumer rights for distance selling?

Your views/ evidence / experience of this welcomed...

Pevs
    Are you still in time to send the whole order back and reorder just what you need?

If so, it might be possible to threaten to do that, and hope they see sense and change the gift card for a debit/credit card refund.

Otherwise, I fear you are stuck with what you have.

As far as I know, there is nothing in the legislation that says they should refund to a debit/credit card before refunding to a gift card.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pevs wrote: »

Yes.........
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    Yes.........

I don't think its fair. If only one method of payment was used then fair enough, CCRs state the refund should be given by the same method that was used to make the payment.

But a consumer shouldnt be automatically put at a disadvantage for exercising their statutory rights.

And this term (imo) creates an imbalance - as it is clearly written with the interests of the supplier in mind. It serves no benefit to the consumer.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    I work in a similar place and the voucher is always the 1st thing to be reimbursed generally. Our system splits items into individual orders so it is hit and miss whether you get a voucher or your cash. I suspect it might be the same? You may have just got really unlucky by returning the items which covered the voucher value on the system.

That being said, you paid using a voucher and also a card so you have two payment methods here. I can't see why they would be unable to reimburse you via either payment method on this occasion? Also, you could most likely get the "unsuitable" items replaced on this site as they obviously have some suitable items which you have accepted. I have an outside eeling that you've actually received a voucher and you wanted to convert it to cash instead by returning 30ish pounds worth o goods. Who knows :)
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It would be like getting a cash refund on vouchers and open to abuse, they did nothing wrong.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's totally out of order. I'd insist they replace the £30 voucher with cash. You shouldn't be penalised for legitimately returning items under the DSRs.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    I'd insist they replace the £30 voucher with cash.

How would you do that?
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    It would be like getting a cash refund on vouchers and open to abuse, they did nothing wrong.
    No it wouldn't, the OP used the £30.00 voucher with the goods she kept.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    No it wouldn't, the OP used the £30.00 voucher with the goods she kept.
    No the op used the voucher as part payment, if they wanted cash back they should have returned the whole order and started again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure