HELP: Amazon Seller cancelled sale due to "price error"

Options
Hi,
Yesterday I bought a PS3 from a seller on Amazon for £28 (including £2 P&P). This morning I received an email stating that my order had been cancelled due to a "seller pricing error"

Surely because I'd already bought and paid for it, I should still get the product. It was the seller's mistake not mine, so why should I lose out?!

The seller is now relisting the PS3 for £92.99 and £2 P&P. (easy to confuse £92 with £26, lol :P)

Just wondering where I stand on this and do I have any rights to get the PS3 for the price I paid?

Thanks

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wondering where I stand on this and do I have any rights to get the PS3 for the price I paid?
    Probably not. It depends on when the contract was formed.

Most online retailers state that a contract is formed when the goods are despatched, and I imagine Amazon and their sellers do that.

If that's the case, then you are entitled to nothing more than the refund.

Check the T&Cs of the seller and/or those of Amazon.
  • frugal_mike
    frugal_mike Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    The seller is free to refuse your offer of £28. Until your offer is accepted then the contract has not formed. If you check the terms and conditions of most online sellers they will say the contract forms on dispatch.
  • KirstyRebecca
    Options
    Thankyou, Amazon live chat are now investigating the matter further. The seller has emailed me back saying that if I buy another console from them, they will give me a £10 discount. Does this count as bait and switch?
  • societys_child
    Options
    Surely because I'd already bought and paid for it, I should still get the product. It was the seller's mistake not mine, so why should I lose out?!
    You're not "losing out", you're just not "gaining". (Seller would have been losing out big style)

The contract isn't formed until dispatch.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thankyou, Amazon live chat are now investigating the matter further. The seller has emailed me back saying that if I buy another console from them, they will give me a £10 discount. Does this count as bait and switch?

Calm down Kirsty.
    Take the offer or move on
  • KirstyRebecca
    Options
    I have lost out on a PS3 which I had paid for and assumed was on it's way to me. I also have purchased some games and no longer have a console to play them on.
  • societys_child
    Options
    Does this count as bait and switch?

No.

The seller made a mistake and is allowed to rectify it.
  • KirstyRebecca
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Calm down Kirsty.
    Take the offer or move on

I am calm, I just don't see why they don't honour the purchase seeing as I had already paid for it.
    If I bought something in Tesco, for example, which was listed at X price but was supposed to be Y price, once I have paid for the product it is mine and they can't ask for it back because it's their mistake.

Was just wondering if I could claim bait and switch?
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No

Yes in Tesco a contract is formed when payment is taken in exchange for goods.

Just like this case, you haven't gotten the goods yet and they haven't been dispatched so no contract has been formed.

You tried, thats fine, they noticed, thats fine. Don't try to get something you're not morally or legally entitled to.
  • societys_child
    Options
    On the other hand, if you went into a shop, bought something and the shopkeeper made a mistake and gave you £10 too much change, do you point out the mistake or walk away with extra £10?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure