PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Christmas 2014 thread!!!!

Comments

• Chris25 wrote: »
    this isn't going to be of use to quite a lot of people but...........if you use any of the DKNY apple fragrances, when finished with them you can prise off the spray tops and top of the apple shapes and you're left with a lovely bottle, ideal for HM reed diffusers

What a great tip. I have two of the smaller ones.

What did you use moor the reeds? Bamboo skewers?

AA
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    What a great tip. I have two of the smaller ones.

What did you use moor the reeds? Bamboo skewers?

AA

I found some spare reeds in the garden centre shop but have seen online some people use bamboo skewers - think I might have used one before now, way back.

Aren't they lovely little bottles - would probably be nice posy vases too, or ink wells - if anyone still uses ink :D
  • mrsdwhite
    mrsdwhite Posts: 291 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 October 2014 at 12:57PM
    I'm in need of some of the nice Kilner style jars with the flip lids for putting things in for hampers as gifts. Can anyone tell me the best place to get them? Not too expensive. I've bought a few from tkmaxx for around £5 for 4, is that the best price I'm likely to find?
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    mrsdwhite wrote: »
    I'm in need of some of the nice killer style jars with the flip lids for putting things in for hampers as gifts. Can anyone tell me the best place to get them? Not too expensive. I've bought a few from tkmaxx for around £5 for 4, is that the best price I'm likely to find?

Poundland did a pack of three some weeks ago might be worth looking.
    Slimming World at target
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Small ones 80p ikea

Purchasing a ball of red string has my mind aflutter so thinking along the lines of a wreath for the front door. It's half windowed UPVC so it wont be able to be hung outside but if I can get it to suction on the inside, I could build a twig star frame, wrap with lights and glue gun bits and bobs onto it.

I'm thinking homemade fudge for gifts but I'm all to aware that my fudge making track record is poor.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    fuddle wrote: »
    Small ones 80p ikea

Purchasing a ball of red string has my mind aflutter so thinking along the lines of a wreath for the front door. It's half windowed UPVC so it wont be able to be hung outside but if I can get it to suction on the inside, I could build a twig star frame, wrap with lights and glue gun bits and bobs onto it.

I'm thinking homemade fudge for gifts but I'm all to aware that my fudge making track record is poor.

I think there is a no cook fudge recipe around. Something like 200g white choc, 200g? Butter, 50g condensed milk, ?.?g icing sugar. Sure it was from mse. Esay peasy to make!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • poppycracker
    poppycracker Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    easy fudge recipe?

A block of butter, tin of condensed milk and 2lbs of sugar. Microwave in a microwave proof bowl in bursts until it is golden brown, fluffy before stirring and comes away from the sides of the bowl easily. Turn into a greased and lined heat proof container and leave to set. Score into squares before it gets cold to make it easier to cut up.

You need to watch it as it will boil over the sides of the bowl very quickly.

for tablet, microwave for longer than for fudge, until it starts to bubble up even after you've taken it out of the microwave and stirred it down, then keep beating it until it stops bubbling.
    DFW Nerd no 239.....Last Personal Debt paid off Nov 2012!
    Donated 50 pints so far.... gold badge got 17/11/13! Blood Group O+
    mummy to 3 cats, 2 budgies and a cockatiel
  • mrsdwhite
    mrsdwhite Posts: 291 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Small ones 80p ikea

There's a slow cooker fudge recipe doing the rounds on a fb slow cooker page, not seen any failures from it yet...
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Thanks so much for the easier fudge recipes. I am particularly drawn to the SC one so will go research. :)

Saw this and liked it's simple effectiveness. I will be doing this for both our solstice and Christmas meals.

463910340f046586aa422bcd84b93c07.jpg
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks so much for the easier fudge recipes. I am particularly drawn to the SC one so will go research. :)

Saw this and liked it's simple effectiveness. I will be doing this for both our solstice and Christmas meals.

463910340f046586aa422bcd84b93c07.jpg

I really like this am going to try and do some using cinniman sticks
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills