John Lewis won't replace my iPad...

Options
I hope someone can give me some advice.
My husband bought me an iPad Air from John Lewis in May. I used it for less than two months (treating it with extreme care I might add; I have had my original iPad for over four years with no problems); one evening I picked it up and noticed large cracks across the entire screen, emanating from the home button. I have no idea how this happened - the crack seems to have come from pressing the button, which would obviously mean it was faulty.
I took the iPad back to JL, and they sent it off to Apple for testing. It came back this week, and Apple have said that there is some damage to the iPad which would have caused the screen to crack (they say the unit has been 'bent'?), and that the crack comes from 2mm above the home button so it cannot have been caused by finger pressure. So they say the unit is not faulty, and I have to pay for a replacement screen at a cost of £257.
I can categorically say that this damage was not caused by me. I have told JL this - however they say that the tests Apple have run are proof enough for them that the unit was not faulty and they are standing firm.
I really don't know what else to do. Apple have a history of defending their products and denying that they occasionally have faults. I have read lots of forums with people saying they have had the exact same problem with iPad Airs and Apple refuse to acknowledge there is a problem. I simply don't have the money to get the screen replaced, and I KNOW I didn't cause the damage so it seems ridiculous to cave in and pay for a repair.
Any advice please?

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Get it done locally for £99 Apple charge a fortune you can get it done far cheaper.

I'm pretty hard on my ipad -and only managed to damage it when I dropped it facedown on a pavement (Don't ask !!!) so odds are someone had dropped it and isn't admitting it to you. The Apple testing is pretty good and if Apple are refusing to replace it considering how liberal they usually are with replacements they are standing their ground because the damage isn't a fault but damage.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • spacegirlfive
    Options
    Duchy thanks for your advice. Do you have an iPad Air? They are much thinner and lighter than the other versions. It's about half the thickness of my original iPad.
    I don't agree that Apple are usually good about replacing and repairing, forums are full of people reporting that Apple are refusing to repair or relplace (often iPad Airs at the moment).
    Also nobody else has had any contact with my iPad so it hasn't been damaged by me.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Independent engineers report required .
    You say you have not damaged it Apple say you have .
  • spacegirlfive
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Independent engineers report required .
    You say you have not damaged it Apple say you have .

But who is to say that the box wasn't dropped in the shop prior to being purchased? An engineer's report wouldn't show that.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    But who is to say that the box wasn't dropped in the shop prior to being purchased? An engineer's report wouldn't show that.
    They have had it for 3 months.
  • JJ_Egan
    Options

Under SOGA in the first six months its up to the vendor to prove damage and in this case Apple have done just that according to their tests .
    An engineers report is to disprove the Apple test that the fault is damage not who caused it when or how .
  • spacegirlfive
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Under SOGA in the first six months its up to the vendor to prove damage and in this case Apple have done just that according to their tests .
    An engineers report is to disprove the Apple test that the fault is damage not who caused it when or how .

So an independent engineer's report wouldn't help - I know it's damaged as much as Apple do. What I am saying is that, as I know I didn't damage it, who is to say that it didn't get dropped by someone in John Lewis or by the delivery driver or someone else? How could that possibly be proved? And the onus is on the retailer, not me.
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Did not understand your original post as you said .
    >>>

Apple have a history of defending their products and denying that they occasionally have faults. I have read lots of forums with people saying they have had the exact same problem with iPad Airs and Apple refuse to acknowledge there is a problem.<<<

I took that to mean you where claiming it was an inherent problem not damage .
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    You say that YOU have not damaged it, but you don't say that someone in your family hasn't and not owned up to it.

Are you sure that is not the case. Sounds like it has been accidently sat on to me.

If not I would get an independent report done too, just so you can prove your case. Them refusing to fix it , sounds like a bog standard excuse to something that looks a bit dubious to them. Supplying the report will mean you know your rights and wont let it drop.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So an independent engineer's report wouldn't help - I know it's damaged as much as Apple do. What I am saying is that, as I know I didn't damage it, who is to say that it didn't get dropped by someone in John Lewis or by the delivery driver or someone else? How could that possibly be proved? And the onus is on the retailer, not me.

On the balance of probabilities, it would not take months for a fracture to come to light.

In your OP (if I remember correctly) you said that apple say it looks like its been bent at some point - not that it was impact damage (dropping it is more likely to result in the point of damage origin being at he edge of the ipad, not above the home button).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure