Nespresso Coffee Machine

Options
Any guidance how long you would expect one to last? I bought and registered it in Nov 2012.

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 August 2014 at 8:15AM
    Options
    keyser666 wrote: »
    Any guidance how long you would expect one to last? I bought and registered it in Nov 2012.

I haven't got a Nespresso, but I have just retired my WMF (Senseo) machine to the loft after over 3 years of daily use solely because the pads are getting harder to find. This machine was pretty basic though compared to the Bosch Tassimo I bought to replace it. I had no idea it had so much electronics in it! It scans a little barcode on the pod, therefore knowing exactly what drink is being made and pumping through the correct amount of water. I'm thinking it will die around the 15 month mark, so a little after the warranty expires. Hopefully I'm being pessimistic, but there seems to be far more parts that can fail on this machine. I'm just looking at the machine as being relatively short lived, but actually cheap on a per use basis (cost £50) compared to the price of the pods. Anything longer than a year and I'll be happy.

My very basic Krups combined filter/espresso machine (semi retired from use) is still going strong but cost £150 when purchased 2 decades ago. I think we forget how much cheaper, comparatively, small appliances are now compared to what they once cost.

Probably not very MSE to expect something to fail after a relatively short period, but all my newer gadgets and appliances seem to die after a much shorter period these days than the ones they were bought to replace.
  • keyser666
    keyser666 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    I haven't got a Nespresso, but I have just retired my WMF (Senseo) machine to the loft after over 3 years of daily use solely because the pads are getting harder to find. This machine was pretty basic though compared to the Bosch Tassimo I bought to replace it. I had no idea it had so much electronics in it! It scans a little barcode on the pod, therefore knowing exactly what drink is being made and pumping through the correct amount of water. I'm thinking it will die around the 15 month mark, so a little after the warranty expires. Hopefully I'm being pessimistic, but there seems to be far more parts that can fail on this machine. I'm just looking at the machine as being relatively short lived, but actually cheap on a per use basis (cost £50) compared to the price of the pods. Anything longer than a year and I'll be happy.

Cheers lilelvis, I have seen the tassimo at £35 this week and I think £20 off in vouchers for coffee too and am likely to get one of those, the fact they do costa coffee is a big swing for me, just dont think with the nespresso you get enough coffee out of the pods, I use two for a decent strong coffee even if it is a 7-10 on the strength scale
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think my tassimo lasted about 4 years with daily use.

I would expect more than 21 months! The first thing they'll ask you is have you been using the official pods!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • LilElvis
    Options
    Cheers lilelvis, I have seen the tassimo at £35 this week and I think £20 off in vouchers for coffee too and am likely to get one of those, the fact they do costa coffee is a big swing for me, just dont think with the nespresso you get enough coffee out of the pods, I use two for a decent strong coffee even if it is a 7-10 on the strength scale

I got a selection pack of assorted coffees from Amazon (22 for £10) which I'm using to test the different brews. I'm currently finding them quite weak for my personal taste as I like mine brewed like rocket fuel. The Costa Latte I bought to try out the milky drinks I was very disappointed in as the milk component tastes very much of chemicals. I tried registering the machine last night in order to get the voucher but couldn't as there are 2 options 1) enter machine serial number if it is in one of two formats, if another format then 2) enter code from Tassimo card sent with the machine. My serial number is the 'wrong' format and I don't have a card, just the Tassimo 'welcome' booklet, so Monday I will have to call tassimo and get it sorted that way.
  • Country_Cousin
    Options
    I would expect the Nespresso to last longer than that. Having said that having had a Tassimo first and latterly a Nespresso - I would not return to the Tassimo - in spite of the very cheap offers that they have.
  • keyser666
    keyser666 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    I think my tassimo lasted about 4 years with daily use.

I would expect more than 21 months! The first thing they'll ask you is have you been using the official pods!
    I thought as much, used official pods all the way through as they will see by my orders on my club espresso account.
    LilElvis wrote: »
    I got a selection pack of assorted coffees from Amazon (22 for £10) which I'm using to test the different brews. I'm currently finding them quite weak for my personal taste as I like mine brewed like rocket fuel. The Costa Latte I bought to try out the milky drinks I was very disappointed in as the milk component tastes very much of chemicals. I tried registering the machine last night in order to get the voucher but couldn't as there are 2 options 1) enter machine serial number if it is in one of two formats, if another format then 2) enter code from Tassimo card sent with the machine. My serial number is the 'wrong' format and I don't have a card, just the Tassimo 'welcome' booklet, so Monday I will have to call tassimo and get it sorted that way.
    I only drink black coffee and like mine very strong, always on the upper end of the scale. tasted the costa round the other halfs and liked it and was comparable. Also gives me the ability to have different teas and stuff for guests so win win all round.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    I gave up with my Tassimo ages ago, as OH used to do his Hot cvhocolate on it and not clean it out and then I would do my Starbucks blend and it would taste of hot Chocolate.

I have recently bought one of these and it is great, but now looking at a bigger version of it, so don't have to fill it up as much.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/breville-vkj142-15l-hot-water-dispenser-kettle-black/206-9221.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=206-9221

I use Lyons coffee bags from Sainsbury's and the coffee is lovely.

One of my reps can get Morphy Richards stuff at staff sale price, so will be upgrading to this soon.

http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/products/kettles/hot-water-dispensers/131000-Black-Redefine-Hot-Water-Dispenser.html
  • LilElvis
    Options
    Hi Keyser,

Some more info re the Tassimo vouchers, now that I've managed to register the machine. The £20 comes as 2 £10 vouchers to use for online orders from Tassimo. One expires 6 weeks after registration and the other after 4 months, but there is a minimum spend of £25 + p&p to be able to use them, with free delivery for orders over £35.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so unimpressed with these machines to be honest - lots of waste, and if you want to drink more than a small cupful cost a mint in pods! I prefer an old fashioned filter paper in a cone, kettle and nice ground coffee kept in the fridge
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought as much, used official pods all the way through as they will see by my orders on my club espresso account.

What's the issue with the machine and what response have you had from Nespresso ? They can also see from your account the number of (official) capsules you've used and the number of descaling kits - if you haven't de-scaled as per instructions you probably won't get far with a complaint.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure