save £6

Options
yorkshire wildlife park near doncaster usual adult price £15.50 with proof of dla £9.50

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    thanks for that -planning a trip there soon.
  • Mojo_Fones
    Options
    Nice discount, although it costs £6 for a carer so not all disabled people will get the saving.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    would still be cheaper.
    2 x £15.50 = £31.00
    1 x £9.50 and 1 x £6 = £15.50
    so if you need a carer ( lets face it who goes to this type of place alone anyway) it still costs no more than it costs anyone else
  • Mojo_Fones
    Options
    If I go with my disabled friend who doesn't need a carer but I do, it costs me £6 more than him.
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    it doesnt ... because if he qualifies for the reduced price for being disabled... he can get you entry as a carer regardless of whether you are or not!
    i go to alton towers yearly with my daughter and her family. i have no physical issues that prevent me queueing ... but i get the wristband purely because i am disabled.
    id be mad to say ..... let me stand in a line for 2 hours when i can board the ride almost immedialtely!
    theres very little advantages to being blind ... queue jumping at alton towers is one of them!
  • Mojo_Fones
    Options
    I don't know how I can make it any clearer. My disabled friend and I both go together. He doesn't need a carer and so only pays £9.50 but I do need a carer so it costs me £9.50 for myself and £6 for my carer so I don't feel the benefit of the concession. I cannot go in as his carer because not only is it dishonest but I am obviously disabled and bring my own carer.

Like I said it's a nice discount but not all disabled people will feel the benefit.
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    thats the luck of the draw!
    if he cant accompnay you as the 'carer' and so get entry for both of youy at £15.50, at keast you get your carer in for no more than the usual price!
    your friend is paying £9.50 for a single entry ...
    you are paying £15 50 for 2..
    so not such a bad deal
  • dave030445
    dave030445 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 August 2014 at 11:33PM
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    it doesnt ... because if he qualifies for the reduced price for being disabled... he can get you entry as a carer regardless of whether you are or not!
    i go to alton towers yearly with my daughter and her family. i have no physical issues that prevent me queueing ... but i get the wristband purely because i am disabled.
    id be mad to say ..... let me stand in a line for 2 hours when i can board the ride almost immedialtely!
    theres very little advantages to being blind ... queue jumping at alton towers is one of them!

I think you will find they have stopped that now. (and rightly so) You cant get a red wrist band for being blind now. Cause as you say doesn't prevent you from queuing Blind visitors now get issued a white wrist band. And are required to queue.
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    dave030445 wrote: »
    I think you will find they have stopped that now. (and rightly so) You cant get a red wrist band for being blind now. Cause as you say doesn't prevent you from queuing Blind visitors now get issued a white wrist band. And are required to queue.
    yes you can because ive already been once this year.
    all they wanted was proof of high rate mobility DLA which i have
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    I agree, far too many people who say they are 'disabled' are making a mockery of the whole system.

Only the most serious disabled that are confined to a wheel chair should get these privileges. I get HRM, yet see no real benefit for it (apart from the 50 odd quid I get for it) and to be honest, never ask for any. I'm not in a wheelchair, so I expect to be treated just the same as any other able bodied person.

It's like those with a Blue Badge expect to be able to park for free everywhere they go. Being disabled doesn't mean that you any poorer than the next man/woman.
    i can queue forever and a day!
    but the queues at alton towers arent just queues.
    they are packed with people, with steps up and then steps down... with twists and turns ...
    so the time spent STANDING in a queue isnt an issue ... its the moving about.
    the wristband system isnt purely for the visitors convenience though.
    the theme parks like to know exactly where the disabled visitors are in case of emergency.
    that is why they let them queue seperately and anlways have them seated at the rear of any ride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure